Does my left foot make me look fat?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Does my left foot make me look fat?

Post by rlown »

Yeah. kind of gross, but it can happen.. still walkable for 5+ miles, but do you really want to?
foot july 2013 004.JPG
Doc visit tomorrow.The bruising actualy extends around to back on the left to the Achilles. It's much more purple now up above the ankle up to the sock line on both sides.

Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Re: Does my left foot make me look fat?

Post by schmalz »

Bummer! Hope you have a smooth recovery for August.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Darn Rlown, what happened? Something fall on you foot or did you kick in
something on Monday on the way out? Looks like some sort of trauma there
above the ankle. Hope everything turns out well at the doc's office!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Same injury you saw me hobbling around on the day before you left. 6hrs in the car makes a heck of a difference. But I made it out. EDIT: I forgot. This happened about 40 mins after you left, while I was looking for a good fishing spot on the slick rocks West of the outlet.

Think of it as a fishing accident. At least the Rod and Reel are safe.

Trauma? a bit. we'll see.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

No offense, but...damn that's ugly. Glad you made it out okay; the steeper/rockier sections of trail can't have been fun.

Hope it recovers quickly.
artrock23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by artrock23 »

It looks like a sprain, and they can take awhile to heal.

Here's to a quick recovery!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

rlown wrote:This happened about 40 mins after you left, while I was looking for a good fishing spot on the slick rocks West of the outlet. Think of it as a fishing accident. At least the Rod and Reel are safe.Trauma? a bit. we'll see.
Wow, you really did tweak your ankle. Best wishes to a rapid rehab. Regarding the "fishing accident" thing, it is interesting that with my long history of peak bagging and difficult off trail backpacks, the lion's share of my outdoor injuries came working around lakes to get to places to cast. My own list: 1991 broke ankle while dodging what looked to be a fatal boulder while circling a certain lake that held 20-inch goldens at that time (lake has subsequently been gillnetted). That place is some 2 miles or so from the nearest trail and then 5 more miles out. I did a lot of hopping on one foot to get out. 1994 broke fingers 4 and 5 on my left hand when I lost my balance prior to a cast along a shockingly gentle shoreline of a large lake in S Yosemite. I reached out for balance and my two fingers sort of sheared sideways against the side of a boulder. That was on day 2 of what turned out to be a 5 day trip. 2010 on an easy family backpack to Weaver L.. Got a bit careless boulder hopping around lake to casting platform. Big crash and burn on boulder pile. Broke thumb of right hand. Drive out was entertaining, shifting gears with left hand. The only major outdoor tweak that I can remember that wasn't related to fishing around a lake, was hyperextending my left knee (1987) when coming up short on a landing on the short off trail descent from Davis Lakes to the trail
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rlown wrote:
Doc visit tomorrow.
Any news on the severity?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Deep, high ankle sprain. 6-8 weeks. I find that if i walk on it, it feels better. Not big on Icing and laying around.

Still have my "no broken bone" streak intact! knock on Granite. :)
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Ouch - glad you hobbled out okay and nothing is broken (not even that fishing pole ;) ).