What Will Be Your Mosquito Avoidance Techniques?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: What Will Be Your Mosquito Avoidance Techniques in 2012?

Post by SSSdave »

After making input above on this thread, it occurred to me, that I probably ought to replace my old blue nylon windbreaker shell jacket I use carrying a backpack because after a few years it is showing fabric wear and the zipper can be ornery. Very few hikers or backpackers wear a nylon shell while carrying a pack though this person has done so for decades. Certain to take care of mosquito issues as their probosci cannot at all stick through tight weave nylon, much less when acrylic coated. Like almost all my backpacking gear I tend to customize things.

So ordered and just received via amazon, a Kariban unlined windbreaker for $21 plus $8 shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Kariban-Unlined-W ... indbreaker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Features shown on web sites:

Nylon outer with acrylic coating
concealed hood with tear-relase fastening
two front zippered pockets
elastic cuffs, drawcord at hem

Selected size medium color white that I just weighed at 7.2 ounces or as much as a light cotton t-shirt. White not a good choice for those easily sun burned because it is a wee bit transluscent. Will likely dip the shell into a hot Rit dye bath of really light green in order to end up a bit off white. White of course absorbs less sunlight radiation so is cooler for summer backpacking use. One ought always buy a size larger than one's shirt size in order to be worn over other garments and not bind up with movements. Some more details not included on web sites.

The two zippered side pockets importantly are of reasonably good rectangular volume at 6 by 8.7 inches. One will find many windbreakers that do not have zippered pockets and some with rather small pockets. Beware as sizeable pocket size is rather important for hikers and backpackers.

The nylon coating does not breath. Ideally I prefer uncoated however such wind proof jackets have been rather non-existant for over a decade as manufacturers see water proofness as a feature. Jackets like this should not replace rain jackets like my Marmot Precip because they are not seam sealed. Also one ought not regularly use a pricy well constructed lightweight rain jacket while carrying a backpack because it will likely abrasion wear and seam stretch due to forces. Another useless feature as a backpack carrying shell often on windbreakers is an inner mesh lining. One can usual cut those out but that can be messy. That is why this product is called unlined. One does not want layers because it is important to be as thin and cool as possible and quick drying. When one does find a non-coated synthetic fabric it is usually polyester. However fabric weaves on polyester fabrics may not provide enough to keep out all squeeter pokers and the fabric more readily wears thin.

Single seam stiching so not bombproof double plus stiching of expensive garments. I applied thin dabs of flexible fabric cement to key locations on the stiching to make sure it does not unravel. That is the most likely way inexpensive nylon clothing is likely to fail because there are potential strong forces with a heavy pack being carried.

The front and 2 side pocket zipper seemed reasonable. The front zipper has a small pull tab and the side pockets do not. I will modify each zipper with a larger custom pull after visiting a drugstore women's hair accessories section maybe with a fabric pony tail loop.

The waist band drawcord ends with a small loop at both ends that may only be bowtied to secure as is. So will add one of my cord locks to one end.

This windbreaker has a sizeable hood that uses velcro under the collar to secure. I want a hood on my rain jacket but not on my backpacking shell. So may decide to cut it off which would be a trivial process. Probably would reduce the weight by an ounce plus.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Bottom areas of windbreaker. Modified each zipper pull adding women's Goody pony tail bands to the small metal zipper pulls. Added a cord lock to the waist drawstring. Put maybe 1/8 teaspoon of forest green Rit dye into 3 gallons of hot water to dye the purchased white ripstop nylon fabric.

Packs small:

Side view with Osprey Aether 70 pack. Normally the bottom of the windbreaker is above the top of the pack waistbelt, thus not between skin and waistbelt. In front I often have much of the front zipper down to increase cooling.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Looks like a nice purchase.. How do you feel about cooking in that windbreaker? I know it depends on one's approach to cooking.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Bring this thread back up because it looks like those blood sucking vampires are
starting to get busy, and this thread has a lot of useful information to makes ones
time in the backcountry more bearable.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

Herbal Armour and/or Badger Anti Bug Balm (easy roll on) works well for me. I try to hike in weather not too hot for lightweight long sleeves and pants. I never ever use Deet; I suffered with migraines for over 30 years after working in a bug bombed building.
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

Nothing has worked well for me except sleeves and a good fire. Picardin and Deet seemed about the same. They work ok in some areas but those high altitude skeeters are big and tough and they just dont seem to care.

For the record I used 40% Deet and it was pretty ineffective. They were landing right on my wrists right after spraying them.

I bought some 99% Deet at shaver lake store. I think ill try a blend of picardin on my clothes and gear and just a little deet on exposed areas. We'll see how that goes!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Hmm. I wear long pants and long sleeved shirts always during the bug season, and put on the jungle juice. Yes they buzz but they don't bite me. They do bite me in the spots i miss like when i have smartwool socks in tevas. that was a surprise when i took the socks off.

I DEET the face in a large way and haven't got bitten there. If you can get past the buzzing and learn to ignore it, that helps, but we still flail at them.. hate those buggers. :evil:
lensman137
Topix Acquainted

Post by lensman137 »

Number one, going after the middle of July.

And I've been wearing shorts for 30 plus years. So, if I'm really suffering, I'll deet up. I've also found Rail Riders' ultralight shirts and their weatherpants to be virtually skeet proof. But as far as camps go, I always try to situate them well away from water, and in a breezy view area. I've been using empty Clorox 1 or 1.5 gallon jugs for 30 plus years as an easy way to do just that. Hang the empty jug on your pack on the trip, and then after you've found a nice, breezy view camp well away from the skeets, just carry the jug down to water and back up to camp for filtering. The weight factor of the empty Clorox jug is negligible, and the benefits enormous. Try it, you like it! I guarantee it.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Last weekend this was my attempt:
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

I took the family to Chilikoot Campground this weekend for 2 nights. Its far from water and fairly low elevation so the mosquitos werent unbearable. They were present though and I made a point of trying a variety of things. After each swim in the creek I tried a different product.

Most effective was Joes 99% DEET. But its oily nasty stuff and it actually started to melt my girlfriends hair clip! For some reason this worked noticeably better than Repel 99% DEET which has proven on multiple trips to be worthless. I have no idea what the difference is.

Almost as effective was Sawyers 20% Picaridin in the tiny pocket sized bottle. Its not as smelly or toxic and doesnt leave that nasty film on your skin. I find it takes awhile to become effective so apply early. And doesnt seem to last as long as deet so u need to reapply.

Others products used, OFF Deep Woods deet free (worthless) Bug'n'Sun 20% deet (worthless)

So im becoming an advocate of: sleeves+campfire+picaridin+proper location

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta