Homemade alcohol stoves

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
mojaveman
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Homemade alcohol stoves

Post by mojaveman »

Does anyone here use a homemade alcohol stove on a regular basis? If so, in what kinds of conditions and at what altitudes? Thanks.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Homemade alcohol stoves

Post by copeg »

For the last ~10 years I've predominantly used a cat can stove for summer camping. I've used it from spring to fall (at elevations upwards of 12k), but typically consider other options on the extreme tails of the seasons when temps have a higher probability of getting at or below freezing. Some other things I keep in mind when choosing to bring it:
  • Poor performance at or below freezing
  • Never noticed any significant performance hit due to elevation.
  • Windscreen is almost always a must
  • Takes significantly longer to boil water (relative to the alternative gases)
  • Anything more than one pot meals are tricky.
mojaveman
Topix Novice

Post by mojaveman »

Thanks! That pretty much answers my questions about these stoves - I don't camp in winter, was mainly concerned about altitude. Built one that I can fry fish with. Thanks again.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

I have cooked with alcohol before. You just need the right stove.

Be aware that you cannot use them when a fire ban is in place due to their not having a valve. They are considered open flame.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
bdevlin
Topix Acquainted

Post by bdevlin »

I have made a TON of can stoves and done some fairly exact boil testing. The Super Cat is the winner. Funny too because I was at someone's site...I forget who but he sells ultra light stuff, and he too has made plenty of these and found the super cat to be what he favored. I found those fancy Aluminum bottle stoves with the rolled edge to be satisfactory but nothing great. There is actually a better and easier aluminum bottle design that I arrive at in my experiments. No rolled edge.

-You simply cut off the bottom a couple inches up
- cut off the drinking mouth about 3/4 down
- then cut off a remaining section of the top a tad shorter than your cut bottom.
- Drill your holes in the bottom
- then simply press fit the top into the bottom. It creates virtually an air tight fit.