Footwear: What do you wear?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Footwear: What do you wear?

Post by TRAUMAhead »

PatrickQuin wrote:I'm curious about this very same topic. I am trying to pare down from my Salomon Quest's, which i love. I was hoping to use something like the x-ultra from Salomon but they have proved too narrow in the toe box. For those of you who carry heavier loads (40lbs and less) and have moved to lighter weight shoes. What has worked? Have you ever gone too minimal and had to move back towards a happy medium? Do you wear a heavier shoe when you know you will be doing a fair amount of off trail?
I am having a terrible time finding a mid height shoe with a wide toebox that will give me some semblance protection in an off trail situation.
My jump to Roclite 295s from boots were a bit too minimal the first time I hiked in them. Telescope Peak, 14 mile day, a lot of rocky sections on the trail. On the way back, I was actively looking for flat sections/flat rocks on the trail since my feet were pretty beat up. IIRC they don't have a rock plate either. After hiking/backpacking with the 295s for a couple years now, if I was to do the same trail, I'd be fine. They're my only pair of hiking shoes so I pretty much wear them on and off the trail.
“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts.” - Yvon Chouinard
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Vasque Mindbinders trial runner. They go on and off easy, light weight, but stay glued to the feet while hiking on or off trail, with absolutely no toe bang--yeah! I have a bunion on the left foot and the toe box handles that well enough. Because of the mesh and low cut, the feet get really dirty and gaiters are nice to keep the pebbles out while hiking. Absolutely worthless on snow and ice as I discovered last year on Taboose, so watch the weather.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

Merrel Waterproofs. Comforable, durable, light and definitely waterproof. I probably should have gotten mid heights for the ankle support and to keep pebbles out but I just prefer lows.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Last edited by sheperd80 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

I use the same shoes I jog in - New Balance MT110:

They sort of self-destruct after a some heavy use, but a little bit of shoe goo works wonders. I run in them around 3-4 miles, 5 days out of 7 - without socks - and they fit & feel perfect. On the trail, my feet & shoes are the last thing I have to think about.
SandStorm
Topix Acquainted

Post by SandStorm »

Thanks everyone for contributing. I have learned a lot. Keep it coming. In the backcountry of the High Sierra, and around the world, the rate of death is proportional to the rate of preparedness.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Vaca Russ »

La Sportiva Glacier:
th[5].jpg
A big beefy boot for a guy who carries a heavy pack off trail. They fit like a glove. :nod:

-Russ

Fail to prepare...Prepare to fail!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
OzSwaggie
Topix Acquainted

Post by OzSwaggie »

Zamberlan Cristallos. (I'm female.) Leather above-ankle boots. I love them! I have roley ankles. Some people start in heavy boots then lighten up. I went the other way. I carry about 35lbs with them. LIghter loads I like Oboz trail shoes. Day hikes I like my Helly Hansen Trail Lizards (trail runners). I have trouble getting shoes wide enough - these mentioned all work. Have fun! Don't we love our shoes, when they get put down thousands of times a day, with our weight and pack weight on them.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Vaca Russ wrote:La Sportiva Glacier:
th[5].jpg
A big beefy boot for a guy who carries a heavy pack off trail. They fit like a glove. :nod:
not just for guys with heavy packs - my daughter loved these in 2009 - only boot we could find in her size up for the distance and turned out to be fantastic.

GreenhornBackpacker
Topix Novice

Post by GreenhornBackpacker »

I wore Merrell trail runners on my first backpacking trip last week. They were great but what were really great were the Smartfeet insoles. I have had a Morton's neuroma for ten years. I'd have shooting burning pain after walking any distance, even after I stopped walking and was driving home. The pain was terrible.

I wore the Smartfeet insoles for the first time on the trails in Yosemite and it was like a miracle!! :heart: 26 miles of pain-free feet carrying a 25 pound pack over rocks and cobblestones. I highly recommend them.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

not just for guys with heavy packs - my daughter loved these in 2009 - only boot we could find in her size up for the distance and turned out to be fantastic.
IMG_1326[1].jpg
Fishmonger, this is my favorite picture on HST. The determination in her eyes says it all. It is particularly impressive when you know the route she was hiking!

Guitar Lake!! :rock: :rock:

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.