Desolation Wilderness Triple Crown…Again

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Desolation Wilderness Triple Crown…Again

Post by Vaca Russ »

Sorry, mschnaidt, but that is a great title! It was your report of the trip you guys made last year that inspired us to try the Triple Crown.
We set out toward our base camp at Lyons Lake.
1Deso Sign.JPG
We did some fishing (see the fishing hole) and spent the night. Early the next morning we said good bye to Lyons Lake for the day.
2Good bye to Lyons.JPG
The hike up to Price started up granite slabs. There was some boulder hopping but we made good time. Here are my three girls enjoying the snow below Agassiz.
3Three Girls below Agassiz.JPG
Soon we found ourselves on the summit of Price.
4Mt. Price Register.JPG
The views were spectacular. We saw Lake Aloha with Heather and Susie below…
5Aloha Heather Suzie.JPG
…And Dicks Peak and Jacks Peak just to the right of Rockbound Valley.
6Dicks Jack and Deso Valley.JPG
Then there was Smith, Wrights, Dark, Icehouse and Union Valley.
7Smith, Wrights, Dark Union Valley and Ice House.JPG
These views were great, but we had bigger fish to fry. It was off to Agassiz and Pyramid.
8One down, two to go!.JPG
We needed to get on top of that summit block.
9Diving Board.JPG
There is some water in the tarn below Agassiz.
10Tarn below Agassiz.JPG
To be continued…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Re: Desolation Wilderness Triple Crown…Again

Post by Vaca Russ »

It took a little boulder hopping and a little rock climbing but we got to the summit block.
11Agassiz Register.JPG
This is Sport on the summit block.
12Sport on Agassiz summit block.JPG
We now had one more mountain to climb.
13Pyramid from Agassiz.JPG
This is where things got a little different from the mschnaidt journey. Instead of heading east from the summit of Agassiz and following the ridge to Pyramid, we went south and found ourselves on top of a steep ridge. Eek

We had to climb down this fun slope.
14Cliff.JPG
We continued down the slope all the way to the meadow above Sylvia. This was over a 1000 foot drop.
15thousand foot drop Entire Ridge.JPG
We needed to slog our way, boulder hopping and rock climbing all of the way over the steep western slope of Pyramid. It was late afternoon and the temperature was quite warm. We had to dig down deep but eventually we made the summit!
16Pyramid Register.JPG
17Pyramid Benchmark.JPG
Sport and Mika posed in front of South Lake Tahoe.
18Sport and Mika Pyramid.JPG
From here you have a great view of Lake of the Woods, Echo Lake and Freel and Job’s Sister in the distance. We were blessed with clear weather.
19Lake of the Wood, Echo, Sierra at Tahoe.JPG
We took one last look back at Agassiz and Price.
20Looking back at Agassiz and Price.JPG

We then started the long hike down to Sylvia and over to Lyons. The chute down to Sylvia is completely clear of ice and snow. Sylvia is chock full of mosquitoes.

It was a long day but well worth the effort. We will be ready for our trip over Lamarck down to Darwin Canyon next week. Wish us luck!

Thanks for reading our report.

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by KathyW »

I wish I lived closer to that area - it is so beautiful. Thanks for your great photos and report.
neil d
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by neil d »

Russ, I've been awaiting your report after your teaser in the fishing forum. I plan to do the triple crown hike in July, but as a day hike from Lyon's Creek. I've been up Pyramid once before. We'll be doing the trip in reverse, going up Pyramid first.

Your traverse from Agassiz to Pyramid matches reports from others, that the ridge is too hairy and most folks drop down into the bowl above Sylvia. What is the 'east of Agassiz' route to which you alluded?

Also, how did your dogs do? My hiking pal wants to bring our dogs, but I nixed the idea thinking the hike was too technical for dogs. You obviously prove that to be incorrect.

Cheers,

Neil
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Neil,

The “route east of Agassiz” is detailed on mschnaidt’s report:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6485" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Take a look at his map detailing his route. Once they bagged Agassiz they headed directly east along the ridge. It was only then that they dropped down into the bowl.

I would recommend using his route. We left the peak of Agassiz and headed directly south. Then we realized the only way down was a very vertical decent. That 1000 foot drop and then the subsequent climb back up really hit us hard. It would really help if you could keep your elevation by staying as high up on the ridge as possible.

Starting off by bagging Pyramid first is a good idea. It’s like castrating a feed lot full of boars. Start with the big ones because you will be worn out by the time you get to the little ones. :nod:

Regarding the dogs, that is a personal choice. My dogs are very athletic. They also have a lot of trail experience. Jack Russell terriers are known for their unlimited energy. There is a lot of boulder hopping on this trip. My dogs can “jump like a Willys in four wheel drive”. :D

That being said…this trip kicked their little butts. Don’t ever let anyone tell you that you can’t wear out a Jack Russell. So I would be very careful about choosing to bring a dog. If you do bring dogs be sure to bring a lot of water not only for them to drink but to pour on their heads and ears to keep them cool. There are many sources of water along the way…except from the first chute at Sylvia up to the summit of Pyramid. I think I only remember one puddle for them to cool in. Remember you will also be hiking the eight additional miles to and from the trail head.

Neil, good luck! Be safe and please be sure to post a report. I am sure others would be interested in what you find. I know I will be. We may want to do this hike again in reverse!

Have Fun!

-Russ

Kahil Gibran.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Ah, I love those views. Thanks for posting the pictures and beta. :thumbsup:
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.