The “B Team” Strikes again!

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

The “B Team” Strikes again!

Post by Vaca Russ »

Last spring I posted a report about how the “B Team” climbed Half Dome.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7755" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

During the hike an idea was hatched. The idea was inspired by a nonprofit group called “Noble Heights”. We wanted to obtain a cart they had and use the cart to assist our friend David “Beowulf” Wolfe to the summit of Clouds Rest.

We got the cart, trained at Lagoon Valley and prepared for the challenge.
1Lagoon Valley.JPG
The Sac Bee even ran an article.

http://sacb.ee/U1qnjm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The “B Team” met at Tenaya Lake before day break on Saturday morning. We had also called in our auxiliaries (several young, strong, fit men).
2xStart.jpg
3Start.jpg
If the grade was flat and smooth only two guys were needed to move the cart.
4two guys.jpg
But as the grade got steeper and as more obstacles appeared more people were needed.
5Carry.jpg
We could see our objective off in the distance.
6Clouds Rest.JPG
Beowulf can also walk with the use of crutches. On several occasions he needed to stretch and get his blood circulating. It was during this activity we referred to our friend as “Steppenwolf”. :D
7Steppen.JPG
8Steppen.jpg
We slowly proceeded up the hill. Good progress found us at the spine near the top (Where you find the last sign before the summit)
9Gang.jpg
10Sign.JPG
To be continued...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Re: The “B Team” Strikes again!

Post by Vaca Russ »

It was at this point we all agreed it would be unsafe to continue using the cart. He-Man Beowulf got out of the cart and began to walk / crawl the rest of the way to the summit. He refused help and completed the ordeal on his own.
11Leave Cart.JPG
12David Walking.jpg
13David Scrambling.jpg
Beowulf finally made it to the summit. He had conquered his Grendel.
14David Bench Mark.jpg
Beowulf celebrated our victory.
15Beowulf Celebrates.JPG
Victor celebrated our victory. :)
16Happy Victor.JPG
Photos were shot of the group (Thanks Boy Scout Troup from Tracy!)
17Group.jpg
Everybody was elated yet we still had the long and arduous journey back to the trail head. The trip back was exhausting. By the time we had reached the top of that first hill 2.5 miles from the TH we were beat. Just then a stranger appeared. In a thick Germanic accent he asked if we needed help. “Oh, of course, please help”. Andreas was from Frankfurt, Germany. More importantly he was fresh! He really helped us out.
18Andreas.jpg
19Adreas.jpg
We arrived at the trail head just before dark. We had triumphed!

Thanks go out to all of the hikers who had the patients to work their way around us on the trail. We also need to thank Ruth Middlecamp, Commercial Tours Permit Manager, Yosemite National Park. She allowed us to use a wheeled vehicle on the trail in the park without a special use permit.

Of course all of the participants who aided during the hike get thanked. Most importantly is Nick Cunningham of Noble Heights. He is the guy in the blue T-shirt.
20Noble Heights.jpg
Nick is 6’ 6” of solid muscle. I believe most of the hikers would agree we probably would not have made it without his help.

Most thanks, however, go out to our hero, Beowulf. He shed a lot of blood and sweat on this trip. His Navy Seal toughness and ability to “Carpe Diem” is truly an inspiration to everyone.

Thanks for reading my TR.

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

Wow ! What a story ! Kudos to you and your team for helping Beowulf. You mentioned his navy seal toughness...is he an ex seal ?
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Tom,

I’m sorry I gave you the impression Beowulf had been a Navy SEAL. From the attached Sac Bee article, “David Wolfe, who suffers from cerebral palsy, plans to scale a 10,000-foot Yosemite peak today.”

A long time ago in another life I use to work with many different SEAL teams. I did nothing special. I just kind of drove around the taxi cab for them if you know what I mean. Take it from me…These guys are REALLY tough! :eek:

When I saw Beowulf crawling over the granite with bloody forearms this was the thought that came to my mind. This guy is “Navy SEAL” tough. The SEALs have a saying, “every physical challenge is 80% mental. Beowulf is mentally tough.

Thanks,

-Russ ET2(SS)

Kahil Gibran.
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

That is a great story - Thanks for sharing!
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

That is truly outstanding. :thumbsup:
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

Man, that's awesome. Incredible what can happen when people come together. Thanks for sharing with us.

Ladd
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

Nice story! That made my morning. Thank you.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Charles11
Topix Newbie

Post by Charles11 »

Its amaizing And thanx for sahring such a nice pics. ;)
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

very inspiring - congratulations. Must be a great feeling for all involved to have helped make a dream come true.