2013 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
SueD
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Mosquito Reports for Sonora Pass area?

Post by SueD »

I'm thinking of doing a hike next week north from Sonora Pass to Wolf Creek Lake & Boulder Lake .... anyone know what the mosquitoes are like now? Thanks!

Well to answer my own question, during our hike 7/4-7/6, mosquitos were 0 - 1 on the PCT heading north from Sonora Pass, but there was a goodly breeze which might have been keeping them away.
Last edited by SueD on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Monache-Templeton Meadow 7/19-7/23

Post by Rockchucker »

Monache 1, templton meadows 1, overall very few bugs. Monache has a bunch of flys. We were up there June 19th-23rd.
I'm no suture for my future.
Vickster
Topix Novice

Hidden Lake-Black Rock Lake-Silver Lake 6/28-6/30

Post by Vickster »

Mokelumne Wilderness June 28-30
Granite Lake Trailhead (off hwy88)
Day 1: Hidden Lake (2-3...no bugs until around 6, then they came out in droves...was still hiking and even while moving along the trail they were biting, put on 100% deet and they quit).

Day 2: Beebe Lake, Black Rock Lake, Cole Creek Lakes and camped at Long Lake (2-3...morning was bad, had to eat while walking fully clothed gloves and all...not so bad for most of the day managed a couple sit down breaks at Beebe Lake and Cole where they were tolerable and even got out on granite where they seemed not to be at all in direct sun. At Long they were around, but in tolerable numbers).

Day 3: Back to Granite Lake TH via Plasse TH and connecting trail around Silver Lake (UGH this day was like a 4. In the morning at Long Lake I almost didn't eat breakfast....estimated about 50 on/around me broke out the 100% deet when the face mask when full clothing wasn't cutting it and they stopped biting but were still hanging around. Couldn't really take any breaks today because they would come around).

It was a gnarly weekend bug-wise. I think dealing with this year after year gets me more mentally prepared but it's still rough when you can't stop and enjoy views. I Have a solid early season sierra tramp stamp of bites.

On the plus side, weather was amazing and saw a bear near Cole Lakes this morning on my way out!
Last edited by Vickster on Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2013 Mosquito Reports

Post by maverick »

Hi SueD,

Welcome to HST!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mp88
Topix Novice

Re: 2013 Mosquito Reports

Post by mp88 »

Headed out on the JMT this week and looking for a bug report, any information will be greatly appreciated and we thank you in advance ; )

Leaving Reds Meadow on Sun 7/7 & finishing at Happy Isle VC on Wed 7/10. Anyone who has been in these areas as of late and can give us a report will have great karma for the rest of the summer. :unibrow:
SierraMaclure
Topix Novice

Vogelsang 6/29

Post by SierraMaclure »

Last weekend at Vogelsang Area: hellish. Dropped a few hundred feet and it was better. Even had skeeters on top of Vogelsang Peak. Pretty miserable; and I don't react to them and I have a high tolerance for their annoyance. #-o
"Between every two pine trees lies a door to a new life," John Muir.
Silverfox
Topix Acquainted

Agnew Meadows, Garnet Lake, Shadow Creek June 28-July 2

Post by Silverfox »

Mosquitos were light to moderate, headnet and deet made travel through wet areas bearable.

Day 1 - River Trail 1 in areas away from water, 2 near the river, along as your moving they leave you alone

Day 2 and 3 - Garnet Lake, had planned to go to 1000 Island but every person we ran into gave us a 3 or 4 report, went to Garnet instead, glad we did 2 at best and nice afternoon breeze left us free during the day.

Day 4 - Shadow Creek Area - 1 to 2 a little afternoon shower sent them home

Day 5 Back to Agnew Meadows - 2 along River Trail, not a bother if you keep moving

Silverfox
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Lake Aloha basin, Desolation Wilderness, June 29-July1

Post by FeetFirst »

Echo Lakes TH (0) > Haypress Meadow (3) Lake Aloha (2) > Heather Lake (3) > Lake Le Conte (3) Cracked Crag (1) > Jabu Lake (3) > Lake Lucille (3) > Lake Margery (3). Note that it was very warm both days (85F+) and probably didn't really cool off (probably 55F) at nights. There was a breeze during dusk that allowed me to keep sane during dinners, but the mornings were still so breakfast was eaten while walking to avoid the ungodly.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
smaretti9
Topix Newbie

Bonnie Lake 6/29-6/30

Post by smaretti9 »

Leavitt Trailhead - Bonnie Lake 06/29 - 06/30 (Hoover Wilderness/Stanislaus/Yosemite)

First 8 miles in we had very little interaction, occasionally a 2. After that 8 we started our ascent up Bond Pass, for the next 4 miles or so it abruptly turned to a 5. Unbearable, we camped out and turned right around the next morning. Spoke with a few PCT'ers who stated it was bad the last 3 days. To be more specific of where we were it was the 1,000 mile mark on the PCT.
exodus
Topix Acquainted

July 3rd Duck Pass - Trail head to Barney Lake

Post by exodus »

In summary - near water a 2 - away from water a 1. If you stopped for about 2 minutes or so on the trail, a few would find you. My wife and I got away with 0 bites, but the kids weren't as lucky - about 10 bites between the two of them.

The gnats were being at a full 3 maybe 4 up near Barney lake. The din from their buzzing was wild to behold.