TR: Brainerd Lake 6/21 > 6/22

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Brainerd Lake 6/21 > 6/22

Post by schmalz »

maverick wrote:You would think Inyo NF and Summitpost in several posts for example here:
http://www.summitpost.org/thumb-from-br ... ail/214647" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
would have it correctly spelled on their sites, especially Inyo if it is named
after one of their own rangers, but then again maybe not.
Guess I will find out from the USGS office in Menlo Park when I get back
Monday if nobody in the mean time gets some official proof of the spelling
of its name.
That would be awesome Mav. I'd appreciate it. Although I guess I should assume people will be searching for both names so I might slip one of the "alternate" spelling in there for google ;p
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RiseToADry
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by RiseToADry »

Thanks for the TR. I really enjoy your pictures. Brainerd (Brainard?) Lake looks very nice with the sheer rock wall at the far end of the lake. Reminds me a bit of 4th Recess.
hikerdmb
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by hikerdmb »

From the pics it looks like you still had a wonderful trip. I did the north fork a couple years ago and my dog couldn't wait to get in the creek when we reached Second Falls. That first couple of miles on the south facing slope can make for a hot afternoon after spending the morning driving up 395. I have not been up the south fork yet but it looks like a nice area to check out.
lensman137
Topix Acquainted

Post by lensman137 »

That is one cool dog!
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

lensman137 wrote:That is one cool dog!
Yeah, she is pretty unique. We actually had someone in our neighborhood notice her in our yard and ask if she was Callie from the internet. Possibly a HST'er?
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

I've had plans to visit that basin for years but it is a long drive from Northern California.

Sounds like you need some advice on dealing better with mosquitoes as they ought not be an issue unless you are one of those people that refuses to use DEET. Probaly need to bring some extra netting to cover Callie or even better one of those cheap all net bug bivy's. And a prime directive we always have when backpacking is to rise at dawn on trailhead days and beat the heat. Hate hiking midday on a sunny trail with dark rock broiling in infrared heat.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

SSSdave wrote:I've had plans to visit that basin for years but it is a long drive from Northern California.

Sounds like you need some advice on dealing better with mosquitoes as they ought not be an issue unless you are one of those people that refuses to use DEET. Probaly need to bring some extra netting to cover Callie or even better one of those cheap all net bug bivy's. And a prime directive we always have when backpacking is to rise at dawn on trailhead days and beat the heat. Hate hiking midday on a sunny trail with dark rock broiling in infrared heat.
Dave - Do I need mosquito advice? I carry DEET but don't like to use it. If you read my post carefully, you'd notice me mention that my clothing protects me but it does not protect Callie nor eliminate the mental aggravation of being swarmed. I will get a headnet for Callie, but to be honest, the majority of damage was done while we were hiking, as she was pretty well protected at the campsite. As far as I can tell, there is no way to protect a dog while it is hiking.

re: timing. I got to the trail as early as possible on Saturday. There is nothing else I could have done, and on Sunday, I was up before dawn and it did not help the bugs.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I sympathize. Mosquitoes affect people differently. They hardly touch my husband, instead swarm me. He always says taking me along is better than DEET. There is a level of swarming that just undoes me mentally, regardless of head-net, DEET and not being bit. Bites also swell to large lumps on me, but not my husband. The intense mosquito season in the Sierra is relatively short, and lately, I simply sit it out at home. Dogs and small children should not be taken out in swarming mosquitoes- they simply cannot defend themselves effectively.

The most effective mosquito "repellant" is wind. The NWS "tabular forecasts" show hourly predicted wind. Granted it is a computer model that generates the values, but I found them fairly accurate. I hunt around for places that are going to have high winds and go there. All predictions are only good for a few days, so this, of course, does not work for a long trip, but is really helpful for a weekend trip. Mosquito season is also a good time for high ridge-runs and camping on peaks and plateaus. Kuna Crest traverse is a good example of this. Even when Tuolumne Meadows is swarming, after the first few hours, once you start climbing up to the crest, mosquitoes are gone.
hurricaniac
Topix Acquainted

Post by hurricaniac »

Willow Lk. and the trail to Brainerd is a well-known mosquito swamp. The only relief in that area is to go up to Finger Lk, which is well worth the scramble from Brainerd. The dog may have to struggle a bit on the talus, tho.

Finger Lk., July 2011
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JackiC
Topix Newbie

Post by JackiC »

Brainerd is spelled correctly. Lawson Brainerd was head ranger at Muir Woods and was a volunteer for many years after. I can vouch for the spelling as he was my dad's brother (my Uncle) and a pretty amazing man.