Possible? Nine Lakes > Lion Lake > Tamarack Lake?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Possible? Nine Lakes > Lion Lake > Tamarack Lake?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

My experience is the same as Sweetsierra - easy rock ramps to pass from 9 Lakes Basin, but very tricky down to Tamarack Lake. Cliffy also just above Tamarack Lake (lots of mosquitoes). Probably not a problem this year, but crossing the creek can be difficult. I have not calculated the miles and elevation gains, but you definitely need to do that, estimating about 1 to 1.5 mph for the off-trail sections, perhaps 2.5 mph for the trail sections and add about half an hour for each 1,000 feet of elevation gain. You could probably exceed this rate, but this gives you some contingency for route-finding.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

chandler325i wrote:longri -- what time of year were you there?
September... why do you ask?
chandler325i
Topix Novice

Post by chandler325i »

longri wrote:September... why do you ask?
Curious if the swampy conditions were a spring/early summer thing, or year-round when there isn't snow. If it was like that in September, probably safe to assume it's pretty much always like that
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Ska-T »

I realize that the normal route going downstream is to cross the creek and the meadow to the north side and find a use trail down to Tamarack. That said, my party did not cross the stream or the marshy meadow. We stayed on the south edge of the meadow and made our way down slabs and ramps to the south end of the lake (left hand side facing downstream). Then we walked to the outlet by (roughly) following the western shore. We didn't get into the marsh and didn't have to cross the creek.

-Scott
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

One more thing ...
Since you intend to hike this as a day hike and won't be encumbered with heavy packs, and I am assuming you are in fairly good shape and reasonably athletic (may be bad assumption), I don't think you will find the route too difficult technically. The question is do you have enough time to complete the loop. Without giving it too much thought, I would say that if you don't reach Tamarack Lake before your half time point, that you turn back. Also, get an early start and make sure you have flashlights with ample battery power just in case you have to finish in the dark.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

chandler325i wrote:If it was like that in September, probably safe to assume it's pretty much always like that
I think it is not safe to assume that without also knowing the year. When I visited there had been a lot of snow the previous winter/spring. But in any case the swampy area was not a problem.
chandler325i
Topix Novice

Post by chandler325i »

Ska-T wrote:...The question is do you have enough time to complete the loop. Without giving it too much thought, I would say that if you don't reach Tamarack Lake before your half time point, that you turn back. ...
The whole group wants to do this now, so no more spartan day-hike without gear. Looking at camping one night somewhere between Tamarack and Hamilton. I've read there's plenty of camping in that stretch. I just need to review the overall route and number of days we have and see if we've got the time for it.

My intended approach at the moment is to get up to Lion Lake and then feel it out. If we hit a point in the descent to Tamarack that we're not OK with, we can always bail out and head back to Nine Lakes the way we came. With the insight folks have provided, I don't think it'll be an issue
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

There is camping at the west end of Lion Lake; west and northwest shore of Tamarack; along Lone Pine Creek between Tamarack and the Elizabeth Pass Trail especially where the creek comes down from Lonely Lake; down north of where the foot bridge on the HST crosses Lone Pine Creek (not great); and at Hamilton Lakes. There are probably others but those I recall.
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

"My experience is the same as Sweetsierra". Ditto this. It's been many years but I spent quite awhile searching for a way down and ended up having to lower my pack on a rope and climb down a small cliff. Probably just my poor route-finding skills though. It was rather interesting because it had been raining on an off for a number of days and from the time I looked down on Tamarack Lake late in the afternoon to the time I eventually started down the next day, the lake had nearly doubled in size from the runoff! All trails were underwater as far as I could tell and I had to wade downstream...

Alan
chandler325i
Topix Novice

Post by chandler325i »

Ska-T - thanks for the additional campsite insights. I'm noting that information down on my "guidebook" document I'm piecing together and will have with me