Rodent/Marmot problem at Trail Head

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Radgnar
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Rodent/Marmot problem at Trail Head

Post by Radgnar »

I am convinced that a rat/squirrel/marmot or other rodent crawled up in my engine compartment while hiking Whitney 2 weeks ago. No damage really was done except they chewed up some of my insulation to make a nest somewhere.

I am heading up to Horseshoe Meadow this weekend and was wondering if there were any other precautions I could take to avoid this problem? I know rodents can do damage to the electrical system and want to avoid this problem as much as I can.

Anyone have any tips to keep the creatures away from my engine compartment?

Cody
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Rodent/Marmot problem at Trail Head

Post by maverick »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6059&hilit=marmot+ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?t=277&highlight=marmots" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

cody,
That's bad news; Mineral King is famous for this problem, and you need to erect a fence (chicken wire or similar) around your vehicle, but I was not aware that the problem is spreading; the other option is to get something they don't like smelling (castor oil?) and put a tray under your vehicle, but I think the fence is the best bet.
cg
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Do you live near the coast? Marmots go for salt and if you have been driving on the coast since the last car wash, there could still be salt on your car.
Radgnar
Topix Novice

Post by Radgnar »

Wow, lots of stories on those links Maverick. Will probably try dryer sheets at least, maybe chicken wire. A $600 mechanic bill does not sound pleasing to me.

Thanks,
Cody
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

I recently read a Mineral King trip report where a guy used a large blue poly tarp per the advice of the ranger and returned after a long trek with no damage to his truck. Apparently, he set out a large blue poly tarp, drove onto it, and then cinched it up high around all sides of the vehicle. See topic and pics here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... d_id=78578" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
cahikr
Topix Acquainted

Post by cahikr »

Having left my vehicle at this trailhead from 1 to 10 day's on many occasion I have not had problems with any critters.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

This worked well for me last year.
http://sierrahiker.home.comcast.net/~si ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Radgnar.....Were you parked at the Portal? Or another TH...I am also curious how many days you had the car parked?
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

I've been having problems with ground squirrels doing the same thing at my home here on the eastside. Pulling insulation and chewing wires under hood. This summer I've placed Bounce dryer sheets around the car (easier than un-wrapping the car every time I have to drive :) ) seems to working so far. I've been told they have to be Bounce!
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail