Mineral King 2 days Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Dizzy
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Mineral King 2 days Loop

Post by Dizzy »

I'm planning 2 days hike: Mineral King -> Glacier Pass -> Spring Lake -> Cyclamen Lake -> Columbine Lake -> Sawtooth Pass -> Mineral King

I'm curious about Spring Lake -> Cyclamen Lake -> Columbine Lake section and will appreciate if someone hiked there and can comment on what to expect?

Thanks,
Alex
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mineral King 2 days Loop

Post by maverick »

Hi Dizzy,

That route was discussed previously here and on a couple of other
previous threads: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5310&hilit=cyclamen+lake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I have only been on some of that route, so I will let others comment on it. That is a lot of up, down, up, down in 2 days!

from what I remember looking up at the route up the creek to Cyclamen is a bit of a bushwack. It didn't look like it would go but upon reading the thread Maverick linked it does go. Bushes might be easily avoided once you get up in it.

Is Spring Lake where you are camping?
Dizzy
Topix Novice

Post by Dizzy »

maverick,
Thanks for the link, I see you suggested this section:
You could go down to Spring, then climb up to Cyclamen Lake, and then up
to Columbine Lake by staying above Cyclamen's eastern side.
My main concern was how steep is climb from Cyclamen to Columbine, looking at Google Earth eastern side seems the best route and you confirmed it.

sparky,
I don't mind up and down or bushwack, but don't want to stuck before impassable rock wall. Of course I can turn around and return using the same route, but I like loops much more then out and return. I would like to camp at Columbine, do you recommend Spring Lake instead?
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I was just thinking to split up some of that elevation gain spring lake would make day 1 easier. But you dont need me to tell you what you are capable of :nod:

Spring lake is very cool though, big granite wall, cool view down canyon, and some greenery.

I have some pictures from the top of Cyclamen Lake Pass, but I dont think they will help much.
calisubie
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by calisubie »

Last year my wife and I packed up to Glacier Pass on the Old Sawtooth Trail to Glacier Pass. Unfortunately, some friends who weren't up to the task forced an aborted mission so we turned back at the pass, slept at Monarch Lake, and I drove them back home the next day. (Lesson Learned: choose your trailmates wisely!!)

Notable features of the old trail as of July 2012.
1. Old Trail is easy to find at Groundhog Meadow.
2. Several rockslides cover the old trail about 3/4 of a mile in making a bit of boulder hopping necessary. But passasble and shouldn't scare anyone who has some experience in x-country, talus, or boulder scrambling with a full pack.
3. After the slides, and near the bottom of the meadow, below Monarch Lake, we lost the trail. But at this point you can just point yourself uphill and head straight for the pass.
4. We found one or two ways over the pass at the top, and with a smaller snow year this year than last, it should be easier than some years.
5. Bob Burd's map is spot on. It's what I used.

We are experienced x-country packers and dont need a trail to get where we are going. That said, the climb out of Spring Lake (to avoid Blackrock) as Bob Burd's maps shows, looks slightly hairy, but it's obviously doable. I'll find out for sure this July during or 2nd attempt. This time, without my "friends" slowing us down.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Calisubie,

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to reading you TR when you get back. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Dizzy
Topix Novice

Post by Dizzy »

We did this loop last weekend, ended up camping at Spring Lake (thanks Sparky) and the section I was curious about from Cyclamen Lake -> Columbine Lake was indeed challenging, but doable. I will post TR next week, going for HST tomorrow! Looks like some thunderstorms may slow down my progress, but will see.