Tent Set Up Methods In Rain or Wind

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Tent Set Up Methods In Rain or Wind

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I also have a Tarptent Moment. I disagree that it is easy to set up. I battled a steady but fickle 30 mph wind a few weeks ago. Once the middle hoop pole was installed, I staked one end, the wind picked up the other and it almost became a kite! I would think that I had it oriented into the wind, and the, bam, the wind would shift and flatten it from the side. The tent is so light that it can blow away a far distance if it ever gets out of your hand. Remember to put the tent bag inside your pocket! It took me half an hour to get the tent set up! I do not trust any tent peg in a real wind so set-up includes finding and hauling huge rocks to backup-tie at least each end.

I have had real trouble setting up ANY tent in a gale-force wind. If you think it is easy, perhaps you have not yet encountered a really fierce wind. Staking down all corners first helps, but then it is a real pain to insert the poles.

The biggest problem with a rain, is that the tent material stretches when wet, so no matter how well I get it set up I have to go back out in the rain and tighten it again. I put my pack inside as soon as I can.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

oldranger's comment reminded me of one rainy day. It was pouring cats and dogs, on the Lost Coast, and at Wheeler Camp an old wooden outhouse is located near the trail en route to the campsite. I went inside, put down the lid, sat on the pot, and assembled the tent and poles and then ran to the tent site and set it up! The funny thing is that between the outhouse and the tent site, three huge elk were sitting on the ground. I did not see them until, tent in hand, I nearly ran into them, freaked out, jumped, screamed! I set a pot set outside the tent- it rained over 4 inches that night.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by FeetFirst »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I also have a Tarptent Moment. I disagree that it is easy to set up. I battled a steady but fickle 30 mph wind a few weeks ago.
I'll agree that we disagree :D I've set the tent up many times in significant wind with minimal fuss. Definitely not more than any of my other tents. Just last week at Jabu Lake I got slammed with gusts that you could lean into with most of your weight. I'm not sure the exact wind speeds, but I'd say easily over 30 mph. I normally stake out one end before the pole goes in and yes, football size+ rocks are added over the stakes, or deadman'd if the ground doesn't comply, for added anchor support. I also utilize the two guyline attachment points mid-way up the pole sleeve in winds, which really help minimize the pole from flexing.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

OF course, no tarptent can stand up to REAL wind.

I remember laying in my tent in Humphries Basin, sick from the altitude after fleeing for my life from lightning as my Tarptent Squall was pretty much flattened in my face every few seconds from large gusts.

I decided right then and there I would purchase a new dome tent.....which I did. It is so heavy though.....I am back to the tarptent after 5 or 6 trips. At least until I am assaulted in another violent storm.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

I had the same problem with my tarp tent. Works great under nice to good circumstances, but gets a little droopy and flattened with a lot of rain and wind. This season I purchased a Big agnes Slater 2 which is free standing and only a few oz. heavier. For the money and weight the tarp tent is great, but there are some drawbacks.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I have had a love-hate relationship with EVERY tent or shelter I have owned! Every one has had its flaws. Luckily, none has ever totally failed. I just looked at an internet review webpage of light weight tents. Even their "best rated" tent gets a medium rating for what essentially is weather-worthiness. The other criteria- livability, ease of set up, cost, weight to me are meaningless unless the tent keeps you dry. Why else would I even take a tent in the first place?

The Tarptent Moment is pretty wind-worthy once you get it set up and if you can keep it set up tightly (problem with stretch in rain). I have found that in a wind you must close the vestibule in order for it to be stable and really tie down the guylines. Our 2-man Mountain Hardware Spire (a 4-season mountaineering tent) is much better in wind and rain, but the stupid thing weighs nearly 6 pounds by the time you add all the tent pegs and lines!
WillieCash
Topix Novice

Post by WillieCash »

Set up Superfly tarp first.

Leisurely set up my hammock underneath second.