Hooper Creek question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Hooper Creek question

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Has anyone been up or down Hooper Creek, north of Florence Lake, to access Gordon, Neil, Harvey and Hooper Lakes? An internet fly fishing website simply says "follow the creek", not very informative! From the topo map it seems to me that staying up on one of the adjacent ridges would be better than following the creek. Also, once at the lakes are either saddles north of Hooper Peak " backpack-able" in order to reach Rose Lake?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hooper Creek question

Post by maverick »

Might help, but no pictures anymore.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3312&hilit=hooper+lake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Thanks! That was very helpful.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

It's been awhile WD, but I've done that route and there is a trail from the bottom, but it doesn't follow the creek and it isn't on the topos that I know of. I have talked to quite a few who have just followed the creek including my brother, but we used the trail on my one visit in about 88 or 89. Just short of the diversion dam, there's a Forest Service TH sign and the trail starts there. There are often a few vehicles parked around the TH. The trail, crosses the creek, and heads NE up the slope to about the 9,200' mark, then contours E/SE around the knob at about 9,400 and then makes it way generally eastward to the lakes. We didn't visit the lower 2 lakes (Gordon and Harvey), but did stop at Hooper for a rest stop.

We stopped at Hooper before heading up to Foolish and Crazy Lakes and crossing the ridge to Rose Lake. I think we went from the north end of Crazy Lake a went up from there. My brother had done it before and indicated it was no problem, pretty straight forward Class 2. With your experience I figure it wont be a problem as it was just slabs and benches with a few nooks to crawl up, but on my try it was a bit of an adventure. The first half or better was pretty uneventful, but then it began to rain. We had a friend along who had limited experience and with the slick surfaces my friend lost confidence. I sat with him until the storm cleared a bit a the rock dried out abit, and we then made our way up with me taking his pack up the steeper spots and coming back for mine. Thinking about it, I was actually kind of PO'd at my bro for thinking our friend could do this trip as he knew his ability, but I digress!!

All in all its quite doable and I would guess it would be a cake walk for yourself. I hope that helps.

P.S. I think the lakes you call the Melody Lakes are actually the Medley Lakes.
Last edited by Troutdog 59 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Just short of the diversion dam, there's a Forest Service TH sign and the trail starts there.
I remember that sign. As I recall, it was old school metal. Green lettering against a white background, and almost worn out. Finding the trail would be preferred, at least for the first part.The ridge is well timbered and steep.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Thanks for the information. My tentative plan was to go in via Florence Lake and up the PCT and spend several days at all the lakes north of Seldon Mass (Marie, Rose, Melody) with a day hike to Orchid, Apollo and Cirque and then head to Hooper Creek to return, walking back on the road to my car parked at the Florence Lake store. Thus, I would have to find the trail from the top. I usually am able to find obscure trails if I know the general location. I really am glad that you have been over the pass between Crazy Lake and Rose Lake. That was one area I was not sure of. If I could not get over that ridge, I would have to return the way I came.
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by tomba »

Troutdog 59 wrote:(...) there is a trail from the bottom, but it doesn't follow the creek and it isn't on the topos that I know of.
There is a trail marked on MyTopo map. The road to the trailhead is marked 4WD. I haven't been there.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.