TR: Mt. Lamarck 6/21-23

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
artrock23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by artrock23 »

Mid-April I attempted this trip, only to turn back below Upper Lamarck Lake, due to dangerous snow conditions. This time would be different! :)

Friday morning, I headed-out from North Lake parking area. Mike (mradford) and his friends were also there, and were getting ready to do a loop from Piute Pass. I made it to Upper Lamarck Lake by 10:30, set-up camp, ate lunch, and headed up towards Lamarck Col, so as to be familiar with the route for the next days climb.

Upper Lamarck Lake, with Mt. Lamarck (13,417ft) in the background

Campsite near the lake. If you look to the left of my pack, I did bring my 'camp stool'. One never knows when a bear might show up, and it's rude not to offer a guest a seat (especially since he wouldn't be getting anything to eat)! ;)

I won't post much regarding the route to Lamarck Col, as somebody has just posted a TR.

A quarter mile from the lake, 38 switchbacks take you up this steep rocky slope

After making the approach to the col, I turned right and headed for Mt. Lamarck's southeast slope.
It's roughly 600ft of climbing to gain the summit plateau, mostly class 2 talus, with the final 150ft class 3 boulders.

Once atop the summit plateau, a problem presented itself: which of the five visible high-points was the true summit? According to the Tom Harrison map I brought, the one I was standing on (to the southeast of the North Couloir) should be it. Search as I might, though, there was no trace of a summit registry. Looking to the north, I noticed two separate summit blocks that were both obviously higher than where I was.

Maybe it's one of these?

After failing to find the registry, I contented myself with lunch and a couple more pics.
Mt. Darwin and Mt. Mendel from the summit

The total time from my base camp to the summit and back was seven hours. By the time I got back, I was exhausted. Much respect to those who do the peak "car to car" in a day. :eek:
This morning I made the leisurely descent back to North Lake, had lunch in Bishop, and drove home. Fun trip!

On a more sober (and sombre) note, here's hoping that overdue hiker Adam is found safe. If I have the facts correct, he's 19, has no map (!), is unfamiliar with the area (Piute Pass area), and has been missing since June 16.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Mt. Lamarck 6/21-23

Post by Vaca Russ »

Artrock,

Thanks for the report and pictures. Do you plan on posting a report in the information booth under 13'ers and 14'ers?

Thanks,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Post by artrock23 »

Vaca Russ wrote:Artrock,

Thanks for the report and pictures. Do you plan on posting a report in the information booth under 13'ers and 14'ers?

Thanks,

-Russ
Yes, at some point in the near future. I'll also do pages for Kuna Peak and Muriel Peak.
Mradford
Topix Regular

Post by Mradford »

Art!

Glad to see your summit attempt went well. It was nice meeting you up there. I now know why you have to camp one night at Lamarck and summit the next day, it is a total uphill slog from north lake.

When we headed up into the more remote areas of glacier divide, we had several people asking if we were looking for Adam. Pretty crazy and sad. I hope they end up finding him! Does anyone know where to find updates on the missing hiker?
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Good to see you made it Art! It looks much easier without all the snow. Beautiful conditions!
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Post by artrock23 »

Bluewater wrote:Good to see you made it Art! It looks much easier without all the snow. Beautiful conditions!
Thanks, Andy! Yes, the conditions were perfect.

Both climbing and descending the steep switchback section, I had to marvel at your feat of descending it earlier this year in soft snow with snowshoes.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

:thumbsup: Will try this soon. :)
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;