Bear canister, now what?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
DLeikam
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Bear canister, now what?

Post by DLeikam »

I am getting ready for my first overnight trip next week - got some great advice on a previous thread and have completely changed plans. SSSdave suggested heading up the Green Creek trailhead to east lake and camping, so that is what I'm going to do. And I won't be solo any more, I am taking my daughter (7 yo) with me. She is at least as excited as I am. I'm looking at my backpack and a little nervous that it is bursting at the seams and I haven't even strapped on the tent yet....

Anyway, very excited to be heading up midweek. I have a bear canister and was wondering: what do you do with the canister when you are sleeping? I can't imagine this thing is odor proof, so I probably don't want to be sleeping with bear bait in my tent....I'm perfectly ok leaving it outside if that's what's done but has anyone ever had to go looking for it in the morning? Thanks for the time to help out, I will definetely post a report when we get back.

Thanks!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bear canister, now what?

Post by rlown »

DLeikam wrote:I have a bear canister and was wondering: what do you do with the canister when you are sleeping? I can't imagine this thing is odor proof, so I probably don't want to be sleeping with bear bait in my tent....I'm perfectly ok leaving it outside if that's what's done but has anyone ever had to go looking for it in the morning? Thanks for the time to help out, I will definetely post a report when we get back.

Thanks!
Definitely it goes outside the tent. I usually position mine 10' - 30' directly outside the opening of the tent so if I hear a rustle I can throw the pile of rocks i have stacked outside the door at the offendee.

Do not think there are a LOT of bears in remote places. depends on where you're going. This is why we use cans. They do not touch them (for me anyway). Just make sure you lock it before you put it out there.

If you are on a hill and your can is cylindrical, which they all are, make sure it's in a place that someone/something can't kick it into a lake. :D
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

Some folks put reflective tape on them so that if a bear decides to play pattycakes with your container, you can find it at night. I've never had a bear mess with my container. rlown is on base about keeping it in sight outside the tent.

One piece of advice: If it's a Garcia (black with a flush top that's opened with quarters) keep it lid side down overnight. Rain water gets inside very easily. How do I know that...?
Ballpeen
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ballpeen »

I took my 6 year old on his first backpack there last year. You are going to have a fantastic time. We planned to make it to East Lake, but he got a little mopey towards the top of the rise to Green Lake. He was game to continue, but I think I made a wise decision and we stopped at Green Lake. I didn't load him with much weight at all, but his pack was less than stellar. Be careful with the pack and weight. Take it slow and you should make it to East Lake.

We found Green Lake campground at the trailhead closed, which as a surprise to us. Not sure if you plan to stay there the night before, but if so you may want to check.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Took my niece to East lake last year for her first time. She had a blast. If you can do it, East lake was beautiful. There are great sites on the peninsula off of the trail. There are some great rocks to jump off into deep water. We also slayed some pretty good sized trout (15 inches) throwing super dupers off the rocks and letting them sink. Have fun
DLeikam
Topix Novice

Post by DLeikam »

Great, thanks all for the advice. We will arriving in the evening and was planning on car camping in the dispersed camping around green creek (yes, I bet it will be closed - a surprise to me too). If we can get on the trail by 6pm to get a few hour head start, anyone know if there is any camping along the trail back to green lake? I doubt we would make it to Green Lake before sunset but would probably be nicer to take it in two legs for her sake.

Thanks again for the advice!
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

I would just set up camp in one of the pull outs for the night and get an early start. By 6 pm you should have camp set up if you are taking kids. You don't want to find yourself looking for a spot to camp in the dark. If you only make it to green lake that's ok, do a day hike to East lake the next day. Stop and have lunch at green lake and assess the situation. East lake isn't much further, but make sure the kids are doing okay.
87TT
Topix Regular

Post by 87TT »

No real good campsites on the trail to Green Lake. Some flat spots towards the bottom and a few towards the top but not anywhere close to water. I would stay at Green Lake with the kid and day hike up to East and the others. It's 2 1/2 miles to Green and usually takes about 2-3 hrs. Figure 4 with small child. You could park at the TH and "campout" in the area of the Campground. It has not been open in a few years that I know of. I would push it to hit the trail earlier and make it to Green.
Green
SoxGolf00
Topix Novice

Post by SoxGolf00 »

Not sure if this will help, but my dad and I used to wrap our can in a small plastic bag (grocery bag or trash bag) and then spray it with mosquito spray. Our food never got touched. We were also able to keep out food and bags near our tent.

Any one else hear of this trick?
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

It's also a good idea to put your canister in a spot where if Yogi decides to play with it it will not roll away. A slight depression is a good spot. Or sometimes I stick mine in the middle of some brush if there's any around.