Recommend a peak/route in the Kern Basin area

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
tallcan
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Recommend a peak/route in the Kern Basin area

Post by tallcan »

Hi everybody! first time poster on this awesome forum. I'm a hiker/runner from the LA area and have been hiking/fishing the east sierras for most of my adult life. Nice to meet everyone and chat with some like-minded folks.

I will be camped in/around Kern Basin for about 4 days with a couple friends. I have Secor's book which is great. I'm looking for a few class 2/3 routes that i can do while I'm there. I can probably manage 10 miles at that elevation and be back for lunch pretty easily. So far Im thinking Milestone Mountain from Milestone creek. Tyndall's north rib sounded interesting too. I would love to find something with that good airy feeling without actually being exposed since I'll be alone and without any climbing experience. A dramatic Class 3 with no exposure but near enough to get the blood going would be awesome. Have any suggestions???

Side note: any runners on here??
KathyW
Founding Member

Re: Recommend a peak/route in the Kern Basin area

Post by KathyW »

Tyndall's North Rib is a nice climb - more like steep Class 2 than Class 3. If you stick to the rib it's pretty solid. Take the rib up to the ridge. Once you hit the ridge, you will cross over the ridge but stay close to it and continue on to the summit close to and along the ridge.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Tallcan,

Welcome to HST! As a runner this might interest you: https://pantilat.wordpress.com/2011/09/ ... ne-midway/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

I did Milestone from the east years ago and remember it as fun class 3. I particularly recall what I called "the yellow brick road." It was a six foot wide, flat ramp along the top of the crest heading to the summit. Did I imagine that or do others remember something similar?
Saltydog
Topix Acquainted

Post by Saltydog »

CalTech Peak from upper Kern/Lake South America. Probably my only CC in my upcinng JMT SoBo solo. Although I am doing it from the other side and finishing at LSA