Footwear: What do you wear?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
SandStorm
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by SandStorm »

I apologize if this has been covered before.

I have been wearing Lowa Khumbus for the past few years. They're heavy and certainly overkill for just trail hiking, but when leaving the trail and covering rough terrain, particularly scree fields, they're magic. I've found them to be a good balance.

It can be tough to strike a happy medium. I'm curious what everyone wears.
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Footwear: What do you wear?

Post by tomba »

Merrell Trail Glove. Very light, flexible, durable, comfortable even without socks (it is meant to be worn that way - it is a "barefoot" shoe). I have been using them since 2011 on all hikes, except in winter. Rock, talus, etc., mostly off trail. Surprisingly, they work well even in snow, when used with thick wool socks - feet don't feel too cold when wet. My wife was skeptical but now she is convinced and she has switched to them.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
SandStorm
Topix Acquainted

Post by SandStorm »

Thanks, tomba. I've been wondering about these minimalist shoes quite a bit. Heard all the arguments, pro and con. But not from High Sierra folks. I really appreciate it.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

I've been using Montrail Sabino trail runners for the last few years. They have a wide toe area which is good for my wide feet. At 24 ozs for the pair they are lightweight but still sturdy enough to be comfortable. They were fine on cross country passes including the long boulder fields and talus on the SHR last summer. I use some gel 'sport' insoles that provide a little more arch support.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Since I usually carry a light pack, I have been going with lighter boots. I can't do the minimal shoe thing since I just need more arch support or else my right knee hurts. I went to the Solomon mid trail runner and liked that a lot, but the sole started to break down after 1 season. This winter I bought a pair of Asolo Fugitives on sale, but just can't go back to a heavy boot. Several weeks ago I bought the new Zamberlan mid Crossers and really like them (probably the most comfortable boot I've ever worn. They have felt great since the first day. Light, comfortable with a pretty stiff shank.
SandStorm
Topix Acquainted

Post by SandStorm »

Thanks for chiming in Bluewater and overheadx2.
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Post by artrock23 »

For the last three years, i've been wearing a pair of Vasque 'Wasatch' boots. I'm more than happy with them. They've been used for everything from local OC park hikes to Winter snow climbing and have performed flawlessly.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

La Sportiva Trango Evo GTX - haven't worn a different boot since I first tried these in 2008. No break in, very good support (I tent to twist my ankles a lot, but these boots keep me from getting hurt), not much heavier than regular hiking boots, but still limited crampon compatibility. Wished the heels were a little wider, but that's about all I don't like. Will be doing many more trips with these.
dbogey
Topix Acquainted

solomon - XA PRO 3D ULTRA 2

Post by dbogey »

Was with Bluewater on the SHR last year and I admired his Montrail's but I'll have to vote for the solomon's. Very comfy and dry out in no time
Just another day in paradise
J ney
Topix Acquainted

Post by J ney »

Scarpa Crux - I was wary of making the transition to approach shoes from more protective boots but eventually stuck with it when my speed, thoughtfulness of foot placement, and ankle strength increased. They are extremely sure-footed going cross-country across granite and - with some insoles - they can manage a moderately-weighted backpack (~40#) and are great on class 3/4 climbs.

I'm not going to lie... I have become very cautious of water and sometimes miss a good shank in the sole, but it is all worth it for a great shoe to rack up miles.