TR - Young Lakes and Mt. Conness - 6/14-6/16

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

TR - Young Lakes and Mt. Conness - 6/14-6/16

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

I'm almost embarassed to post this since it's such a short and common trip.

A friend had a permit for TM, and I had a jonesing for backpacking. We drove from the Bay Area to Hodgdon Meadow, had a beer in the dark, then crashed. Up Friday morn and off to TM. The scrum picking up permits were mostly heading southward or to Glen Aulin. We figured we'd have much company regardless.

We took the Dog Lake trail on our way out. I was pleasantly surprised by the scenery, especially at the crossing of Dingley Creek, where you get a view from Banner to Hoffman.
Conness HST 01.JPG
Up toward camp, Mt. Conness lurked.
Conness HST 02.JPG
We had a couple of bad swarms of itsy bitsy but nasty skeeters on the trail. Mostly we had a breeze stiff enough to keep them at bay. The swarms of tourists never materialized, either. We saw one tent at the lower lake, and shared upper Young Lake with two parties of two.

My partner carried a flask of Taliskers. Good man! We sipped as the sun set.
Conness HST 03.JPG
The next morning we were up bright and early. Well, early. There is a use trail much of the way up, but there is an extended talus/scree slog that makes things a tad unpleasant. At least it was a scenic slog.
Conness HST 004.JPG
The tricky part of the climb is a ridge with some full-retraction exposure on either side. Before that, there are structures from Professor Davidson's "occupation" of Mt. Conness. For history geeks, this is a fun read:

http://books.google.com/books?id=8wINAQ ... &q&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't read this until after the trip. Instead, we heard about it from the ranger at the permit station. Good man!
Conness HST 005.JPG
As my partner decided his family needed him more than they needed a life insurance payout, he stayed at the lower camp to marvel at the scenery while I climbed to the top.
Conness HST 006.JPG
Conness HST 007.JPG
Normally the upper part of the climb is straightforward. This year, the shallow steps built by Davidson's team ended in a patch of steep snow near the top. Rather than risk the snow up, I did some class 3 to the left. On the way down, I risked the snow and slid a bit to a nice platform of a rock with no real exposure.
Conness HST 008.JPG
On the way back we crossed the creek and went up to the bench behind the ridge to the north of the lake. It was a scenic diversion. We went to some notches in the ridge and found a couple of steep but manageable talus slopes.
Conness HST 009.JPG
More Taliskers, a pleasant evening, and the next day we had an easy hike out and a tedious drive back to the surreal world.
Conness HST 010.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR - Young Lakes and Mt. Conness - 6/14-6/16

Post by rlown »

nice report! never feel like it is too small. Beautiful pictures and a nice story always brighten the day.
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

Thanks for that trip report. I haven't done that trip, but it's been on my list. Your photos are great ! Thanks for sharing !
larroyo33
Topix Acquainted

Post by larroyo33 »

Great report, I had been thinking about doing that trip later in the summer. Great to see your photos.
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

..still some snow!

thanks for the tr.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice report and photos. Conness is a nice summit that brings back many fond childhood memories for me. Thanks so much for your report.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bbayley80
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bbayley80 »

great report. thanks for sharing.
love that trip! did same a few yrs back and had a blast. had it to ourselves-which was indeed a surprise. love that upper lake.