Going past Little Yosemite Valley on a LYV permit?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SoCalCPA
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Going past Little Yosemite Valley on a LYV permit?

Post by SoCalCPA »

I agree with Rogue too - but I also agree that why not stay at LYV and enjoy the trail - You ascend approx. 2K feet to LYV - If you go further than Sunrise, you will probably/possibly hit Sunrise HSC - This will be another 3K feet from LYV - Why kill yourself - I have permits for the JMT in August also at Happy Isles to LYV - We are stopping and might try to fly-fish the Merced or at least take a dip
cahikr
Topix Acquainted

Post by cahikr »

It is my belief that you just have to camp at LYV or beyond. You did not mention if you are doing half dome as part of your trip, if so there are great campsites a short distance from the half dome jct. that in my opinion is a nicer area than LYV.
larroyo33
Topix Acquainted

Post by larroyo33 »

I remembered looking into this last year, and I found this trailheads map on the Yosemite website.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/l ... eID=292137" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The map states that if the trail uses a point rather than an arrow you must camp at the point for your first night. The trail for Happy Isles to LYV (1B) has a point rather than an arrow, and states in parenthesis (Camp first night at Little Yosemite Valley). So I think to be 100% in line with the rules you have to camp at LYV the first night.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Knowing how they really police permits in Yosemite, I'd follow the permit exactly. The quotas are especially stringent in that park. There's a quota for pass through and one for HI to LYV, and you should be on the one you signed up for, because doing passthrough puts you on a different quota for which you have the wrong permit - which is the same as having no permit at all. Which is a fine and potentially being walked back out - a friend ended up being walked out two days back to his car when a ranger decided that was necessary....
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Depending on the weather (heat), pack weight and when you get started, you may WANT to camp at Little Yosemite Valley. I really do not know the technicalities of the regulation, but given that a lot of people want the LYV permit (to climb Half Dome), I would feel somewhat obligated to use the permit space just as a matter of fairness and commitment. Camping is not allowed along either trail out of LYV for some distance, so even if you pass through you still have to go some distance before you reach legal or good campsites. If you want to go past LYV, perhaps you could get another more appropriate permit. First-come permits do not cost anything. That way the rangers can give someone else your LYV permit.

LYV campground is like a front-country campground, not very "wilderness" in feel, but there are nice areas to day-hike to if you end up there. One advantage is that if you are doing a long trip, it is one less day's worth of food that has to fit into the bear can because they have bear boxes in LYV. I personally do not like LYV campground but it sometimes is a good choice logistically. And if that is the only permit I could get, I would stay there as a simple courtesy to other backpackers who have the pass-through permit.
Saltydog
Topix Acquainted

Post by Saltydog »

Quite a few sites beyond LYV other than Sunrise Camp, well within an easy first day hike of HI. Which also leaves time to hang at LYV, fish the Merced, and still get far enough beyond LYV the first day to get beyond Sunrise Camp the second. I am skipping HD this trip, may detour to Cloud's Rest.
Saltydog
Topix Acquainted

Post by Saltydog »

OK: Here's the straight dope on the LYV permit. I just talked to a real live Ranger at the YV Wilderness Office. Despite all logic, the LYV permit REQUIRES that you stay at LYV campground the first night. No explanation for why that is not explicit on the reservation, but that's the deal, no ifs, ands or buts.

So it adds an easy day to the trip ( or a couple of miles to the next easiest). Maybe I'll do HD after all.
AndyMac321
Topix Novice

Post by AndyMac321 »

I just called and spoke with a ranger. Looks like you have to camp AT LYV. I even asked him to double check with his superior. I have the same permit. Maybe a pass thru will be available as a walk up.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Saltydog wrote:OK: Here's the straight dope on the LYV permit. I just talked to a real live Ranger at the YV Wilderness Office. Despite all logic, the LYV permit REQUIRES that you stay at LYV campground the first night. No explanation for why that is not explicit on the reservation, but that's the deal, no ifs, ands or buts.

So it adds an easy day to the trip ( or a couple of miles to the next easiest). Maybe I'll do HD after all.
Yes. As I explained - there is a quota for pass through and another one for LYV. You are on the one for LYV. Doing anything but what you were given on the permit equates to having no permit whatsoever, and fine-worthy. They are very strict about the day you start to hike AND the first night's camp.
HikeSierraNevada
Topix Acquainted

Post by HikeSierraNevada »

Saltydog wrote:OK: Here's the straight dope on the LYV permit. I just talked to a real live Ranger at the YV Wilderness Office. Despite all logic, the LYV permit REQUIRES that you stay at LYV campground the first night. No explanation for why that is not explicit on the reservation, but that's the deal, no ifs, ands or buts.

Of course you know you'll need another permit for HD. LYV is like a KOA of the "wilderness", but you can make some fun and the living is easy (nice solar toilet and bear boxes). I've caught trout in the Merced there and day hiked to Merced Lake and back. Bunnell Cascade can be really fun to slide down on a foam pad if the water is right. You can take bets on what time the first bear will arrive. Plenty to do to kick off the trip in relaxing fun without getting hauled out by the ear like AlmostThere's friend. They really do patrol that area pretty tightly and they need to, IMHO.