Proposal to designate critical habitat for the Sierra Nevada

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Proposal to designate critical habitat for the Sierra Nevada

Post by copeg »

I've merged together these 2 threads to keep the discussion in one location.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

My question is: what polices or restrictions will be put in place if this is adopted? So far all I have heard is speculation and I would like to hear specific details. Getting tired of the "we will figure it out later" attitude of the government lately.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ok. to be fair. Inyo/Mono knows the basins. Curtis Milliron did the surveys there. He knows where to cull and reestablish. He's hence moved to district 1 as far as i know but laid the groundwork for Inyo as he was in Bishop.

They won't take all your lakes. The question is, which lakes will they take? Some they don't plant anymore. Some they may.

If there's a brookie in the lake, it is a target. Golden, maybe not so much. They are somewhat protected, but not restocked so much.

Frogs rule as they're listed. Fight it however you want. Just don't complain about it here. we've been talking about it since at least 2007.
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Dittli »

For those that would like to learn what exactly Critical Habitat designation does, here's a very informative webpage

What came immediately to my attention was the following:

Myths & Realities
If critical habitat is designated, does that mean no further development can occur?
No. A critical habitat designation does not necessarily restrict further development. It is a reminder to Federal agencies that they must make special efforts to protect the important characteristics of these areas.

Does a critical habitat designation affect all activities that occur within the designated area?
No. Only activities that involve a Federal permit, license, or funding, and are likely to destroy or adversely modify the area of critical habitat will be affected. If this is the case, we will work with the Federal agency and, where appropriate, private or other landowners to amend their project to allow it to proceed without adversely affecting the critical habitat. Thus, most Federal projects are likely to go forward, but some will be modified to minimize harm to critical habitat.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

That little sidebox in the above referenced website is agency PC speak.

In reality, the usual litigants will use the designation as another wedge to block any proposed activity, no matter how benign.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
caddis
Founding Member

Re: Yellow Legged Frog and Inyo County

Post by caddis »

TehipiteTom wrote:I have zero problem with any of this.
Even if it doesn't address the cause nor the solution to the problem?

I personally am not willing to cede that much more control and power of our resources to entities with idealogical agendas
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

For those of you that would like to know more about this government plot to cede the Sierra over to environmentalists that are going to keep us all from going there, here is what Critical Habitat designation does or more importantly, doesn't do. :paranoid:

resized I already posted that......
Last edited by John Dittli on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

John,

I can hardly wait until you're back on the trail! Way too much time on your hands in the front country. :D

Same battles, same litigants. It just impacts timeline to development. Also note that the environmentalists need permits to study species in such a zone. Somehow the CBD doesn't do lawsuits against the researchers. go figure. :evil:
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

rlown wrote:John,I can hardly wait until you're back on the trail! Way too much time on your hands in the front country. :D
LOL, the foot is almost better!!
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

I did the unfortunate thing of looking at the maps before reading and letting it sink in.

I think the scariest thing is the magnitude of the combined areas and the quality of those areas for things like................fishing. But I suppose if they intend to do some sampling in each drainage, say, they might increase their knowledge base or hopefully find some stocks that have developed resistance to the disease. Me thinks there are plenty of off the beaten path lakes that would make great study cases. Maybe certain lakes could receive better fish management in return. I like to think positive.

Maybe I missed it, but it sure would be nice to see a summary of plan of action to accomplish their protection goals once the areas are established. I did read the generalized statement about logging, grazing, gill netting, etc.