Mt. Williamson & Mt. Tyndall Photos/TR

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
calicokat
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Mt. Williamson & Mt. Tyndall Photos/TR

Post by calicokat »

Though these are a week old (June7-9), I thought I would post some photos. There is no need for any snow gear, at least by the West Face route on Williamson or the North Rib route on Tyndall.

Tyndall's North Rib

Tyndall From The Williamson Bowl

Just Above The "Black Stain"

In The Chute

The Chimney

Looking West From The Chute

Looking Down The Chimney

Mt. Whitney From The Summit Of Williamson

Mt. Tyndall & Destinations West

Lake Helen Of Troy From The Chute

Mt. Williamson From The Williamson Bowl

Slabs A Plenty En Route To Mt. Tyndall. I stayed To The Right Of The Rib On The Way Up (Great Climb)

Tyndall's North Rib En Route To Polychrome Peak

View From My Camp. It Was An Excellent Weekend With Great Conditions
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Re: Mt. Williamson & Mt. Tyndall Photos/TR

Post by Rockchucker »

Wow what an epic trip, great report,thanks.
I'm no suture for my future.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Now that's a terrific double header. Certainly one of the best one-twos in the High Sierra! Nice photos and classic peaks. That's a lot to get done in a 3 day trip.

I was in position to do this back in 1978, but wasn't up to the task. I was a 19 year old coming off my first knee operation. My dad and I climbed Williamson on day 2 from Shepherd Pass and had plenty of time remaining in the day to go after Tyndall. I recall persistent icy gusts that nearly knocked me off my feet. As my dad (who had plenty left in his tank) led me across Williamson Bowl after descending Williamson, he shouted back over the howling wind and asked me if I wanted to double off Tyndall. I replied with a long sustained "Nooooo!" and that was that.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

Amazing views! Wow I really need to start getting into peak bagging. I am just so damn lazy haha and those peaks so high. Those climbs look like a lot of fun though....with a day pack at least :D
cahikr
Topix Acquainted

Post by cahikr »

I'm thinking about bagging Tyndall in a couple of weeks and will be coming down the PCT from Kersage.
I have been reading many of the threads regarding the different routes and it seems the North Rib is the preferred route, but since we will be coming down the hwy does it make since to cut over to Wright Lakes and go up the S/W route? I have not hiked this area before and would appreciate any input.
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

Purty. :nod:

Looking forward to getting out there in August. I hope there is some water left.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

:thumbsup: nice!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;