TM to Agnew Meadows

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dreamer1
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TM to Agnew Meadows

Post by dreamer1 »

Thanks Tim. I had read your earlier comment regarding transport logistics but we may have found some folks who will be able to drive us back to Agnew. If not then we will opt for a 6-7 night loop within the area. Now just need to get a better sense of how to get the most out of our multiple free days for day hiking from camp; likely 3 free days for this, probably from Shadow Creek above Shadow Lake, Garnet Lake, and Thousand Island. Thanks again!
bbayley80
Topix Regular

Post by bbayley80 »

Dreamer-
thought id give you my two cents..
i see you're planning a night/lay day for Shadow Creek above Shadow Lake area, i would humbly recommend pushing the extra easy 2 ish miles beyond Shadow Lake to camp a night/have a lay day at Ediza Lake.

one of my favorite spots along the route with awesome camping/views-with the Minarets, Banner and Ritter offering backdrop scenery. Ediza also offers an awesome base camp for hikes to Iceberg and Cecile Lake and as a few prior posts mention gives you access to a straightforward x-country backside route to Garnet Lake-visiting the Nydiver lakes en route.

enjoy the trip!
dreamer1
Topix Acquainted

Post by dreamer1 »

Many thanks for the input on where to camp along the way. I was about to order some topo/trail maps of the area and was wondering if people had preferences. I saw from other threads that some people seemed to like the Tom Harrison Maps. Any suggestions?
Scouter9
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Scouter9 »

I love the Tom Harrison maps. They've got clear markings and mileage points imposed, all on somewhat water-resistant paper.
dreamer1
Topix Acquainted

Post by dreamer1 »

Got the Tom Harrison Maps in the mail the other day. TM to Agnew as suggested is still in my mind, but having checked out the YARTS schedule (weekends only) and considered the options of hitching a ride etc and other logistical uncertainties to get back to our car (starting at either end) , we are considering the option of just doing a 5 night loop from Agnew Meadows as an alternative to our originally planned TM to Agnew trek. We will be flying in from the Canadian East Coast to Vegas and renting a car to Lee Vining. My partner really wants to see Mono Lake...next day we plan to get our gear in order and do a long day hike from TM - plus I think the drive up Tioga Road is too nice to miss on this trip - my friend's first to the area. Then drive that night to Mammoth for the night and then leave early by car (before 7am) to the Agnew Meadows parking lot (this will be a Monday). From the info I got via multiple searches on the site and previous suggestions to my post, here is the itinerary I had in mind. The mileage appears on the low end to me but am not too comfortable doing extended cross country and do not a calm almost meditative trek in the area with lots of options for extended day hiking than a more rushed approach; but as always open to suggestions.

Day 1. From Agnew meadows, take Rover/Shadow trails to Ediza.

Day 2. Dayhike to Iceberg, Cecile maybe even Minaret. Or head in other direction to Nydiver.

Day 3. Take JMT to Garnet Lake or Altha Lake. This is a real short day and wonder about it but several posters mentioned how much they enjoyed stopping here instead of going straight to Thousand Islands.

Day 4. JMT to Thousand Island Lake; camp well west on the north shore toward the fluer-de-lis shaped cove that was suggested to us.

Day 5. Day hike around the area, maybe out to Davis, or Catherine (over the SW ridge, easy x-country?)

Day 6. Back out towards the car at Agnew via PCT.

Finally, although I had not considered bringing fishing gear with me, I am now considering it (although I have not fished in over 20 years... used to go trout fishing with my dad as a kid). Was wondering how 'easy' it would be for a newbie to catch some fish along this route for supper?

Many thanks!
Scouter9
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Scouter9 »

dreamer1 wrote:... Was wondering how 'easy' it would be for a newbie to catch some fish along this route for supper?
I'm not a guy that can guarantee caught fish, but the fellas posting knowledge and lure recommendations in the Fishing Hole on this site have made my fishing, and my Scouts' fishing, much more fun and productive. It's also more "LNT" because I no longer need to use dynamite and a scoop. ;)
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

"Day 2. Dayhike to Iceberg, Cecile maybe even Minaret. Or head in other direction to Nydiver."

Option 1 to Cecile is much better than to Nydiver (with all due respect to Nydiver). With Iceberg and Cecile you get up close and personal with the Minarets. With Nydiver it's all Ritter all the time, which you will be seeing a lot of from Garnet and TI.

I have not done the cross-country route from Garnet to Thousand Island, but if the terrain doesn't look scary from Garnet and if the weather is dry, I'd go for it. It's supposed to be pretty easy. I'll bet that will be a highlight of the trip.

The trek up to Catherine can be a bit hairy--from what I've been told and have read on this site--unless you stay to the right and find the use trail. Search for North Glacier Pass on this site for more info. The view from the northwest shore of Lake Catherine is something else (IIRC after all these years).

I'm betting there will be multiple trip reports over the summer for this area, hopefully including mine.

Finally, we went to this area mid-September a few years ago. You will need to bring gear for wind and cold (30's F) to be safe.
mpeters
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by mpeters »

Garnet to 1000 Island -- more of a low ridge to cross than a pass. Stop and enjoy the 2" deep, by 50' wide stream(snow runoff) coming off the flanks of Banner towards Garnet. It runs through a bed of little cobblestones and is fantastic. Then continue on over the ridge to 1000 island. Camping at the west end will leave you in the shadow of Banner.

1000 island to Catherine Lake(via North Glacier Pass): Use trails to follow but the destination is pretty clear. Sept of 2011(big snow year) we had 200' or so of snow to ascend to the pass. Caution was required late morning sun along with trekking poles worked OK. My guess is that you will have little, if any snow this year by September.

Good luck.
cvr
Topix Acquainted

Post by cvr »

A few comments:

1) There is some cross country (with a full pack) involved, but if you are up to it, you could start at Devil's Postpile and go up to Minaret L. on day one and then go cross country to Ediza, visiting Iceberg and Cecile along the way on day two. This is a really great, low mileage trek and there is a use trail bewteen Cecile and Ediza. Limited navigation skills are needed leaving Minaret L up to Cecile and then the rest of the way is obvious. There is a slightly steep section coming down to Iceberg from Cecile, but this year in Sept, I doubt the usual snow field will be any more than a very small section of snow, if present at all. Since you plan to exit at Agnew and would need to start at Devil's Postpile. This would only be possible if the shuttle bus service is still running in September. You would need to check into that.

2) If you camp at Ediza, you should STRONGLY consider dayhiking to the top of Volcanic Ridge (see topo). You could also do this very easily from Minaret L. if you take the route described above. It is a completely non-technical hike with an amazing, close-up view of the Minarets, the rest of the Ritter Range and Iceberg and Cecile lakes below, in addition to many of the peaks to the West. I think it is much more impressive than just hiking up to the lakes above Ediza.

3) The trip from 1000 Island to Catherine is very straightforward and really quite easy. Being a low snow year, the view of the snowfield on the back side of the Banner-Ritter saddle will probably not be as impresssive as other years, but cool just the same.

4) I have found fishing in Minaret and Ediza to be average at best with very small fish. The better fishing in the area will be found at the inlets of Garnet and 1000 Island.

Hope you have a great trip. While heavily used, this is a truly beautiful area.