TR - emigrant wilderness/gianelli cabin th (june 6 - 9 2013)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maneki_neko
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

TR - emigrant wilderness/gianelli cabin th (june 6 - 9 2013)

Post by maneki_neko »

headed out from sf at around noon and made it to the trailhead just before 4 pm. the plan was to stop at chewing gum lake to camp for the first night, but we somehow missed the trailmarker. light was fading so we looked at our map and decided to cut off-trail where we figured the lake would be. after spotting a shimmering spot of water in the distance, we climbed down the mountainside to a narrow, curvy lake and staked out a nice spot. we determined by comparing the shape of the lake to its representation on our map that we were at y meadow lake. set up camp and a fire, took in some whiskey and settled in for the night.
photo(3).JPG
woke the next morning to the awful sound of mosquitoes buzzing. this would only be the beginning. we gathered up and hiked to wire lake via the main trail. walking through whiteside meadow was a slog. a swampy, mosquito heavy section. spring meadow proved much prettier with still pools of water that reflected the bright blue sky and fluffy white clouds. wire lake was a beauty. clean and clear, nestled amongst the snow capped mountains. got in at around 2 pm, set up camp, took a cool and refreshing swim, sipped on some whiskey, fished without a catch, and relaxed a bit. friday night and not a soul in sight. the stars were insane.
photo(4).JPG

woke up to dozens of mosquitoes patiently waiting for me on the mesh door of my tent. good morning bloodsucking bastards! decided we needed to head back towards the trailhead, but wanted to keep our back tracking to a minimum. grabbed map and compass and headed off-trail. this was easily the best hike of the trip. newly bloomed wildflowers and succulents dotted the granite landscape. we followed a rushing creek from spring meadow to where it converges with cherry creek and headed straight up and over the mountain to toejam lake. here we spotted, for the first time on the trip, other hikers. almost two full days without encountering another person! took a brief rest at toejam then pushed on to chewing gum lake. made it to chewing gum by 6 pm, set up camp, built a fire, swatted at mosquitoes until night fell when the dang skeeters left and brought us relief. the night was warm. the lake was still with only the sounds of ribbiting frogs, and the occasional outburst from the "camo bros" on the other side of the lake.
photo(2).JPG
photo(5).JPG
photo(6).JPG
headed for home on sunday morning. one last hike out, walking the high ridge amongst the towering pines and distant snow capped ridges. a quick stop to view powell lake. a last look across the valley to the three chimneys. emigrant wilderness, i wish i had a few more days to explore your wild beauty. maybe in the early fall when them nasty mosquitoes quit their buzzin' and bitin'.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
justm
Topix Regular

Re: TR - emigrant wilderness/gianelli cabin th (june 6 - 9 2013)

Post by justm »

Nice trip report. I was in the area a couple of weeks ago and the mozzies were just getting warmed up for biting. It's the time of year for deet and a head net.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by FeetFirst »

Thanks for sharing. I'm planning a trip out of Kennedy Meadows soon and appreciate the update on area conditions.

Is that the Golite Imogene 3? I picked one up, but haven't used it yet since all of my trips this year have been solo, but will be using it in a couple of weeks on a trip with my family. Anyways, how did you like it? Pros, cons?
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
maneki_neko
Topix Newbie

Post by maneki_neko »

@FeetFirst i think kennedy meadows will be a great choice. i think it may be a little greener and with fewer mosquitoes at the higher elevation.

indeed, my tent is the imogen 3. this was my first trip using it and i really have no complaints. roomy for two, may be a little tight with three adults - though i bought it for myself, my wife and baby boy to share. the set-up is quick and easy and at just over 3 lbs for a 3 person tent is a major plus.

have a great trip!
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by FeetFirst »

maneki_neko wrote:...though i bought it for myself, my wife and baby boy to share.
I bought if for the exact same reason (my son is two and a half years old). I'm really stoked on all the room it provides for the weight, but I'm curious to see how the gossamer floor fabric holds up to the wrath of a toddler. :(
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.