Anyone been up in Sabrina Basin?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cvr
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Anyone been up in Sabrina Basin?

Post by cvr »

I know it's late notice, but does anyone have reliable information on the snow conditions up in Sabrina Basin? I love this area for a quick trip and had planned to head up there this Thursday to hit up Hungry Packer and Baboon Lakes, and possibly up to Sunset, although it may still have substantial ice. However, when I called the Ranger Station this AM to set up night drop box pick up for my permit, they reported that there is pretty much constant snow beyond Blue Lake. I am suprised by this information becasue of the low snow year and since Blue Lake is only at 10,400'. Also, I reviewed schmalz's TR on his site from a trip made to the area this time last year and it looks realtively snow-free.

Does anyone have confirmed knowledge of the current conditions up in this basin? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

CVR
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Anyone been up in Sabrina Basin?

Post by cgundersen »

Hi CVR,
I came back Sunday from an 11 day loop in the Silver Divide and bigger and higher lakes (Rosy Finch, Grinnell; both about 10,800ft) were largely or completely ice free. And, the snow level was a gradient going north, so I'd guess Sabrina Basin is fine. We had maybe 70% snow coverage by Big McGee Lake on the way in, but it was well below 50% on the way out (similar elevation as Hungry Packer).
Not to be a jerk, but maybe try this ruse: tell the rangers you want to do a ski touring trip and ask where the conditions are best............and, ask about Sabrina Basin. My guess is they'll tell you it's mostly clear...........they tend to be conservative in aiming to keep folks out of harm's way. Regardless, based on my experience further north, you'll be fine anywhere in Bishop Basin.......
cg
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Not Sabrina but Bishop Pass 10 days ago. FWIW- Snow free to Saddle Rock Lake, lake completely frozen. Long Lake thawed.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by richlong8 »

cvr wrote:I know it's late notice, but does anyone have reliable information on the snow conditions up in Sabrina Basin? I love this area for a quick trip and had planned to head up there this Thursday to hit up Hungry Packer and Baboon Lakes, and possibly up to Sunset, although it may still have substantial ice. However, when I called the Ranger Station this AM to set up night drop box pick up for my permit, they reported that there is pretty much constant snow beyond Blue Lake. I am suprised by this information becasue of the low snow year and since Blue Lake is only at 10,400'. Also, I reviewed schmalz's TR on his site from a trip made to the area this time last year and it looks realtively snow-free.

Does anyone have confirmed knowledge of the current conditions up in this basin? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

CVR
Hello CVR: It just so happens that I spent last weekend, June 8-9 in Sabrina Basin. The snow line is anywhere from about 10700 to 11500, depending on where you are at. Blue Lake is snow free. There is snow coverage in some areas on the way to the Baboon Lakes from Blue Lake. We camped at Sunset lake. There is still a good amount of snow in the canyon that holds the outlet creek of Sunset lake that begins above the uppermost Baboon Lake. I would be cautious of snow bridges over the creek in this area especially if you go that way. Sunset Lake itself is half iced out. The side of the lake by the outlet creek doesn't have much snow, but around the rest of the lake, there is snow left. I hope that helps. I probably won't have time to post a trip report for a week or two at least. Regards.

Richard
cvr
Topix Acquainted

Post by cvr »

Richard,

Thanks so much! Greatly appreciated!! Based upon your report, I think I will keep my original plans and head up there.

I sent you a PM with just a couple other specific questions.

Again, many thanks!

CVR
cvr
Topix Acquainted

Post by cvr »

Just got back from Sabrina Basin 6/13-6/16. Hungry Packer Lake, Moonlight Lake, Echo Lake, Midnight Lake, Blue Heaven Lake. Camped at Hungry Packer and Moonlight. Richlong8 was spot on with his intel. Thanks again!

Snow was no issue whatsoever in this part of the basin. Moderate snow patches here and there, but I think I had to walk on snow for maybe 50 steps all trip. Echo Lake is ice-free, except for 3-4 little chucnks of ice that will likley be gone in another week. Blue Heaven Lake at 11,800 was almost completely ice-free, with only a small, thin sheet of ice at the southern end.

Overall, it's more like late July than mid-June.
Talimon
Topix Acquainted

Post by Talimon »

How were mosquitoes up there, CVR? I'm debating changing a trip starting tommorow to Sabrina.
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular

Post by ExploreABitMore »

Talimon wrote:How were mosquitoes up there, CVR? I'm debating changing a trip starting tommorow to Sabrina.
We got a few bites there over the weekend. Broke down and used some DEET.
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/
cvr
Topix Acquainted

Post by cvr »

Talimon,

I don't know if you will get this in time since you said your trip started today, but I posted this in the 2013 Sheeterz thread:

Sabrina Basin 6/13-6/16. Hungry Packer Lake, Moonlight Lake, Echo Lake, Midnight Lake, Blue Heaven Lake. It was a bit breezy most of the time, but when there was no breeze the mosquitos were only about a 2. In the lower, more forested areas they were a little worse, but overall, not notable by any means. It's pretty dry up there for mid-June.
nightowl
Topix Acquainted

Post by nightowl »

Anyone been up to the Sabrina Basin recently? We're really excited for our trip next weekend (our first time in this area), but worried that the mosquitoes will be bad.