Current vehicle of choice

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Current vehicle of choice

Post by austex »

For me coming in from out of town: whatever they have at the rental car counter that is cost effective, but I find a f/s car great for room, comfort and good mpg. Last week had a Malibu and got 25mpg LAX-Bishop...It's just too hard to borrow from family and friends for 5-7 days
Tom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tom »

My current mode of transport. It will not carry a lot of fishing gear but my legs and lungs are always in great shape.
mediauras
Topix Acquainted

Post by mediauras »

2000 Jeep Cherokee. Sucks gas, unnecessary for a lot of trailheads, but when you need the clearance and 4wd its awesome.

Nothing compared to a cheetah on a premium bike tho.
xNateX
Topix Acquainted

Post by xNateX »

That Rubi is bad ass!

I've got an old old Toyota car. Celica, 91, 250k+. I had been torn about whether I ought to keep it or replace it. Finally decided to keep and recondition it just because it's less expensive and it does everything I need.

It's my sports car, jeep, and station wagon rolled into one. Blew out the rear shocks on some dirt roads coming back from a trailhead (at 200k miles). Threw out the rear seats to get extra space, alternate between snow tires and summer performance tires (whoo whee!), and still get 30 mpg. That's important; I'll cross the country at the drop of a season.

I love old Toyotas. Anytime I see them, I figure I'm looking at someone that has something better to do with their life than sinking time and money into their vehicle. But if money wasn't a pre-condition, I'd probably have a Rubi. Actually, if money wasn't an issue, I'd probably have an exotic. And a superyacht.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

longri wrote: But if you drive an SUV you may have seen me passing you uphill on the highway.
This is very true; I wave politely as people pass me by. :D

My daily driver is an '05 Xterra. The thing has been rock solid from day one and unusually fuel efficient for it's size (22mpg on the highway). More recently I decided to get a vehicle just for recreating on the weekends.

TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted

Post by TRAUMAhead »

Shawn wrote:
longri wrote: But if you drive an SUV you may have seen me passing you uphill on the highway.
This is very true; I wave politely as people pass me by. :D

My daily driver is an '05 Xterra. The thing has been rock solid from day one and unusually fuel efficient for it's size (22mpg on the highway). More recently I decided to get a vehicle just for recreating on the weekends.

Nice Rubi. :) Lift and tire size? How are the Duratracs? Heard they're great as an all arounder, just a little weak on the sidewalls.
“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts.” - Yvon Chouinard
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Thanks TRAUMAhead. ;)

It's a Mopar three and a half inch lift and the Duratracs are 35's (you have a good eye). When I bought the thing earlier this year (it's a 2011 now with 10k miles) the tires were inflated to nearly 60PSI. Whew, now at 32PSI or so the ride is very nice on the Duratracs.
TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted

Post by TRAUMAhead »

Trail Grapplers are waaaay stiff in 35X12.50R17 (E rating + soft top + no doors = no weight on the tires). My first choice was Goodyear MTRs in 35X12.50R15 (C rating), but they were backordered with no ETA so I got impulse bought the TGs. Currently at 25PSI, still trying to get good tread wear.
“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts.” - Yvon Chouinard
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

My TH car is a 2001 Acura MDX. Over 185K miles and still comfortable, reasonable gas mileage, and can carry 4+ with gear. It's old and the paint is going so I don't mind leaving it for a week+.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

My vehicle of choice is a 1969 VW camper.
IMG_3859.jpg
Great ground clearance, 20 MPG, and I can sleep in it. The body still needs work but mechanically it is better than new (1914 engine putting out 90 HP and 112 ft. lb. of torque) pulls the hills great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.