Hutchings Creek

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
juscro
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Hutchings Creek

Post by juscro »

PICT0038.JPG
PICT0038.JPG
Hello, I have read this site many times over the years and have posted just a couple of items. Just wanted to share a great trip I took to Hutchings Creek. Basically I left TM and hike through Vogelsang into the Lewis creek and up along the balcony path over the merced river drainage. Scrambled over some lovely talus up into the Hutchings creek area beneath Lyell and Maclure. The area reminded me of the Bear lakes area. Lots of lovely green swales connecting small lakes together. We originally were going to head to the headwaters - lyell fork of the merced but ended up staying for a couple of days. I'm going to try and insert some pictures. Anyways, just trying to contribute to this cool community.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hutchings Creek

Post by SweetSierra »

Thanks for the beautiful photos and trip report! That last photo will be me in July but in the Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness in Colorado (and the Sierra in August).
Last edited by SweetSierra on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

One of my favorite areas. I was hoping it would stay a "secret"! I do not suppose you could tell us where the fish came from?
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

juscro,
I'll second Daisy's comments and keep the posts coming for those of us stuck in the city; Hutchings is a phenomenal and low-impact area. Are these photos indicative of the current snow situation? I realize that these are mostly south-facing ridges, but it's still very meager. How were the bugs/flowers? I've hit gorgeous blooms of paintbrush in the Hutchings basin (esp., at the base of Sluggo pass). Still early?
cg
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

x3.... ssshhhh!!! :) Is this last year?
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
juscro
Topix Novice

Post by juscro »

Hello. This was last year. Fishing was on the way - I think Lewis creek. Little guys still hanging on in a natnl park but beautiful. Perhaps I should state that this an area whose trailhead is rampant with tourists who gobble up the permits and then whose access is across a vast field of loose talus :)

This site is so friggin comprehensive that to try and contribute something that may (or may not be) new I guess by default it is in the "not well known" category. Hard to know what to do...
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

juscro,
For granite, trout, wildflower, clean air, marmot and solitude aficionados, you'll find gobs of zealots contributing to this forum........the good news is that once you get back in the mountains you can leave (just about) everyone behind..........not easy, but certainly worth trying.
cg
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

juscro wrote:an area whose trailhead is rampant with tourists who gobble up the permits
Came in Rafferty creek did ya??? :D

I think it's fine to post old TR's here, I just was pretty sure there would still be snow there now.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
tomoverstreet
Topix Newbie

Post by tomoverstreet »

I'm looking to visit that area this summer. Is this approximately the route the you took? If so, how challenging is the ridge (that crosses at about 12,200 ft)?

Thanks

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Tom,

Welcome to HST!
Did you read the OP's route? Your purposed route is totally off and you will run into
cliffs above that small lake at the base of the ridge.
The OP took the Merced High Route till they reached Hutchings Creek which they
then followed up to the creek which emanates from the lakes basin beneath Lyell
and Maclure and then followed that up into the basin. Beautiful place.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org