Big Whitney Meadow

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
Mradford
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Big Whitney Meadow

Post by Mradford »

I have read a few articles that talk about ranching in Big whitney meadow and its effect on the golden trout. i was wondering if anyone had some links to articles or any knowledge of the history of bog whitney meadow and ranching, and where the hell do the cows come over and into the meadow?

thanks,

Mike
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Big Whitney Meadow

Post by John Dittli »

Grazing in Big Whitney Meadow was part of the allotments for the entire lower Kern Plateau area. The allotment for BW was withdrawn ~10 years ago.

I don't know for sure the normal route for bringing them in, but I have seen evidence over Cottonwood, Poison and Trail Passes. As well as significant sign Via Johnson Stringer from Little Whitney. I also believe there is a major stock drive somewhere down by Olancha Pass.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
joshuacourter
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Big Whitney Meadow

Post by joshuacourter »

You could ask the Mt. Whitney Ranger District on the Inyo National Forest for information. They may be able answer those questions you have. The phone number is 760-876-6200.