Glen Alpine trail ?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
frediver
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Glen Alpine trail ?

Post by frediver »

I want to check out Halfmoon Lake but I have limited experience in the area.
If you were making a simple comparison, how does that access compare to
the Echo Lake trail to Lake Aloha.
Lets give the Aloha trail a 5 on a 1-10 scale, how would the Glen Alpine trail compare?

Thanks
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Glen Alpine trail ?

Post by TahoeJeff »

Define your parameters. When you say Echo to Aloha is a 5 out of 10, based on what? Scenery, condition of trail, difficulty of trail, number of people, etc.?
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

Sorry.
Trail difficulty is my main consideration.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

The USFS LTBMU website lists both trails as moderate in difficulty. I think I would agree with that. Whereas the distance from Echo to Half Moon is certainly longer than from Glen Alpine, Echo is about 900' higher in elevation, I believe. There are pros and cons to each route, but I think Echo is probably the easier way in. Especially if you pay for the boat ride, cutting out about 2 miles of hiking.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Tom_H »

I've hiked both routes. Everything Jeff says is spot on. From Aloha, it is longer, but you do cut out that 900' of elevation gain he mentions, and if you take the water taxi, it cuts off distance (though it's still a longer route). Both routes start off with some hard and rough blasted granite trails. Not fun for tender feet. If elevation gain doesn't bother you, go Glen Alpine. If you hate elevation gain, but can really cruise once you level out, take Aloha. For better scenery along the way, definitely take Aloha. Mostly, enjoy!
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

Thanks that was what I needed.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Most likely you'll share the trail with less people if you take the Glen Alpine TH, but the drive around Fallen Leaf Lake is a bit tedious. Last summer was the worst. I had to wait over an hour because a car that was backing out was hit by an oncoming car. Everyone was fine, but they didn't want to move their cars until the fuzz showed up. Additionally, I find the trail out of Echo Lakes much more interesting (open views of peaks and the lakes) than Glen Alpine. I vote for Echo Lakes TH.

First two miles out of Glen Alpine:

Some Half Moon Lake stoke:
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

FeetFirst wrote:Most likely you'll share the trail with less people if you take the Glen Alpine TH
My own experience has been that there are a fair number of people at Echo trailhead and a lot of people at Glen Alpine. In the summer, tons of people want to see Fallen Leaf, walk up the road and see Falls Creek Waterfall, and then do a day hike. Some of the heartier ones go in at Glen Alpine to climb Tallac and return in a day. The only times I've ever been there and not seen it crowded were before Memorial Day and after Labor Day. Once you get a bit up the Echo trail, there are more places for people to disperse, fewer on the G.A. trail.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Tom_H wrote:
FeetFirst wrote:Most likely you'll share the trail with less people if you take the Glen Alpine TH
My own experience has been that there are a fair number of people at Echo trailhead and a lot of people at Glen Alpine. In the summer, tons of people want to see Fallen Leaf, walk up the road and see Falls Creek Waterfall, and then do a day hike. Some of the heartier ones go in at Glen Alpine to climb Tallac and return in a day. The only times I've ever been there and not seen it crowded were before Memorial Day and after Labor Day. Once you get a bit up the Echo trail, there are more places for people to disperse, fewer on the G.A. trail.
I apologize for not responding earlier, but I just noticed this post.

I disagree based on my experience. Tom_H, Have you been to the Echo Lake TH on a summer weekend? :eek:
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

FeetFirst wrote:I disagree based on my experience. Tom_H, Have you been to the Echo Lake TH on a summer weekend? :eek:
Goodness, a year and a half later! The answer is, yes. I used to live at Tahoe. Perhaps it just happened to be more crowded some weekends than others. :dontknow YMMV