Looking for a 4 day 3 night loop trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
xshift28x
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Looking for a 4 day 3 night loop trip

Post by xshift28x »

Looking to do a 4 day 3 night loop trip incorporating kearsage pass. I'd like to hike and fish. Our group consists of two moderate skill packers and two novice packers. Any info would be great.
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Looking for a 4 day 3 night loop trip

Post by Mike M. »

xshift,

Given the short time you have available, a true loop trip doesn't seem feasible. If I were going in via Kearsarge and only had three nights available, I'd head over Glen Pass and into the Rae Lakes Basin. That's a two-day hike for intermediate hikers and you'll have to reverse direction to get back to your car. You could make Rae Lakes in one day, but that would be pushing the envelope for a group not yet trail hardened and coming from sea level. Rae Lakes is gorgeous (but crowded in high season) and offers lots of day hiking possibilities. Too bad you can't add one more night to your itinerary.

Another option would be to stash a car at the Baxter Pass trailhead and exit at Baxter Pass, which would give you a semi-loop. Bighorn sightings are common on that route, but it's a long slog down to the car.

Mike
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

The only loop trip in that area is the Rae Lakes Loop and it is not feasible in 3 nights
especially with newbies. As Mike wrote Rae Lakes is a good destination, if their a lot
of people than go up to Dragon Lake for some solitude. With that said, this may be a
bit much for someone new, and don't forget someone in your group may not be able
to handle that much altitude in a day with out acclimating.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Are you deadset on Kearsarge? Based on the amount of time you have and the fact you are taking some inexperienced people with you, I'd recommend a loop up the north fork of Big Pine instead.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
xshift28x
Topix Acquainted

Post by xshift28x »

are there any good trips of this length around south lake out of bishop?
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

are there any good trips of this length around south lake out of bishop?
There's great hiking out of South Lake but you don't have enough time for a genuine loop trip.

The best nearby loop trip for the time you have available is out of North Lake, over Lamarck Col then over Alpine Col and back to North Lake via Piute Pass. But I would not recommend this strenuous cross country route for newbies.

You could do an "almost loop" from South Lake to North Lake via Bishop Pass, Muir Pass and then out Lamarck Col, but again, this is a strenuous four-day hike not suitable for novices.

Another option would be to hike over Piute Pass and do a loop involving Puppet Pass or Steelhead Pass (both cross country passes), then back to Piute Pass (on trail) via French Canyon and Hutchinson Meadow.

Why not set up a base camp in the Sabrina Basin and explore the nearby lakes?

Another easy out-and-back option, out of Mosquito Flat, is to hike over Mono Pass and explore the high basins on either side of Mono Creek.

In all these options, the limiter here is how few days you have available. More days would make for a happier trip!

Mike
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

With novice backpackers, I would take Mike's advice and just do a pack into Sabrina Basin. There are a number of nice dayhikes to do there and it is some of the prettiest country you will find in the Sierras. With three nights you will not run out of places to explore and things to do.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

xshift......

Consider a w side loop. One I know well is Sunset meadow to Ranger Lakes, Silliman Pass, JO Pass and back to Sunset Meadow. Th is about 8,000, high point about 10,000. Great views of Great Western Divide.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
xshift28x
Topix Acquainted

Post by xshift28x »

oldranger wrote:xshift......

Consider a w side loop. One I know well is Sunset meadow to Ranger Lakes, Silliman Pass, JO Pass and back to Sunset Meadow. Th is about 8,000, high point about 10,000. Great views of Great Western Divide.

Mike
Mike,
Could you break it down how you would do it day by day. I'm not really familiar with the area. Also, how bad will the mosquitoes be around the first week in August?
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Also, how bad will the mosquitoes be around the first week in August?
Mosquitoes should not be a problem this year in early August due to the dry winter and early melt-off.

Mike