2013 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

6/1 - 6/2 Onion Valley > Matlock Lake

Post by schmalz »

No mosquitoes.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
no2haven
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Little Lakes Valley - 6/1-6/2

Post by no2haven »

A couple of small mosquitos around Heart Lake. Nothing anywhere else.

A couple of seagulls flying around Chickenfoot lake, though, do those count?
richapple
Topix Acquainted

Dinkey Lakes Wilderness 5/29-6/2

Post by richapple »

There had been a cold snap just before our short trip, so maybe mosquito activity kind of paralleled the warming temps...

5/29 - Courtright Reservoir to Cliff Lake = 2 en route, but oddly = 1 at Cliff Lake late afternoon and evening.
5/30 - Cliff Lake to Island Lake = 2 at Cliff in the morning and en route to Island, then Island more of a 1 that first evening. (camped up from lake with some breeze probably helping, and we wondered if the visitors we had were mostly the males still, which biologists at Ten Lakes once told us appeared first and didn't bite)
5/31 - Island Lake morning = 2, but yes in a biting mood, and for a day hike to slightly higher els just south-west (10196 peak) was = 3. Back to a 2 at Island Lake for the evening, but "dawn and dusk" didn't really apply so much to these guys (gals?). Mornings had them out more with the sun.
6/1 - Island Lake morning = 2, and on day-hike to Second Lake/South Lake/Swede Lake and back - all lower lakes more of a 3. Island Lake late afternoon and evening more of a 1, but mostly 'cuz of a blessed breeze.
6/2 - Island Lake morning = 2, and mostly a 2 for the hike out back to Courtright Reservoir, but sometimes a 3 when near more water.
richapple
BakoGal
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Seville Lake, Kings Canyon NP, June 4-5

Post by BakoGal »

AAAAGGGGHHHH, a 5. I left a day early because I couldn't take it anymore.

When I got home I decided to count the bites. When I hit 22 on my left arm and shoulder alone, I gave up.

Call me scratchy.
rileySB
Topix Novice

Re: 2013 Mosquito Reports

Post by rileySB »

6/3 Jerseydale campground, just outside Yosemite out of El Portal. About 7500 feet. I'd say it was a 1. Got a few bites. Mainly at dusk and in the morning. We were camped next to a large meadow. But once we applied OFF they seemed to stay away.

6/4 Drove Tioga Pass through Yosemite- it rained and thundered in the afternoon. Strangest thing- mosquitos attacked us at Tenaya Lake during the rainstorm. Big swarms of them. I'd rate a 3. Elsewhere in Yosemite they were nil. Ended up camping at Crags campground outside of Twin Lakes near Bridgeport. About 5500 feet. I'd say it was a 0. We even camped next to a moving creek. I was impressed.

6/5 Mt Whitney portal campground- rate it a 2 at 8500 feet next to a creek. A few mosquitos at dusk but enough to get us to go into our tent early.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: June 7-8, Suzie Lake, Desolation

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Glen Alpine trailhead - no mosquitoes
Trail junction to Gilmore Lake - 2
Suzie Lake - 3

Lots of swarming but not so much biting. Afternoon and evening winds helped keep them down. Real bad in morning June 8 - no wind. I talked to a ranger who said the mosquitoes were "bad" at Aloha lake (she was there on June 7). Since I was not actually there, take this with a grain of salt.
KathyW
Founding Member

Mosquito Flast-Mills Lake 6/7

Post by KathyW »

June 6/7: Mosquito Flat to above Mills Lake

No problem between Mosquito Flat and just below Ruby Lake.

From Ruby Lake to Mills Lake they were light in the early part of the day, but heavy in the afternoon and evening. I was happy to have DEET with me because they were all over me between Ruby Lake and Mills Lake on Friday (6/7/13).
kevcon123
Topix Newbie

Lyons Lake, Desolation Wilderness June 8 - 9

Post by kevcon123 »

Lyons trailhead to Desolation entrance (2.7 miles). 2
Entrance of Desolation to Lyons (2.3 miles). 1 - 2

There was plenty of skeeter stew brewing from about 7,200 feet up to 8,400 @ Lyons. But I read a book next to the lake relatively undisturbed in the afternoon.

With the warm weekend (last night there was a hot breeze...ugh) the snow melt was fast and furious. A stream I hopped across on June 8th at 10 AM had to be forded on June 9th at 9:15 AM.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

20 Lakes Basin 6/5-6/9

Post by Rockchucker »

20 lakes basin had almost no mosquitoes, 3 nights and zero bites, we camped at shamrock lake and saw a few buzzing around but they just wern't hungry. My son got a couple of bites but overall very plesant for how warm it was.
I'm no suture for my future.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Blackcap Basin 6/8

Post by AlmostThere »

Guest Lake (Bench Valley, Sierra National Forest)

Was there yesterday - we were going to camp and then head over Blackcap Pass.

I'd rate the mosquitos as a 6 - open your mouth to speak, they fly in. Take off your glasses, they bomb your eyes. They were all over my permethrin treated pants and shirt. Dive in the tent and dozens zip in after within seconds. We were applying DEET every half hour. I smeared it all over the poor dog. There were a few raindrops as the afternoon clouds passed - I figured my tent would stay dry, as the thrumming hoard all over it as I huddled playing cards with my friend would certainly deflect each drop. (This is only slight hyperbole...)

We were there for about two hours, setting up camp, then playing cribbage and praying the breeze would be continuous (it wasn't). They just kept getting worse. We packed up really quickly and zipped down the very steep trail to the Kings River, where the mossies were only very occasional. I shook a bunch of smashed ones out of my tent there. We actually could sip tea without having a side order of mosquitos.

Based on that and the report of the only other backpackers we saw who were heading down from Devil's Punchbowl (over in Red Mountain Basin) the mosquitos are booming in high elevation areas that have foliage, such as these lovely basins - once we dropped down the trail to 8,000 and below, there was a radical difference - we could breath without inhaling them...

Needless to say - not going to try Blackcap again for a while.
Last edited by maverick on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Subject