I would like to introduce myself with a trip report

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
treadwell
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: I would like to introduce myself with a trip report

Post by treadwell »

That's some serious hiking! I've always wanted to try the Pinnacles drainages and a trip up to the Lobe Lakes as well. The Pinnacles Basin seems pretty challenging looking west from Ramona Lake. I enjoy solitude in the Sierras and your trip was loaded with it.

BTW there is a trail of sorts to the Honeymoons. West of Hutchison Meadows there is a small sign on a tree visible from the main trail for a seldom used stock camping area. If you proceed through the campsite towards Piute Creek you'll cross an offshoot creek on to a small island. On the the other side of the island is a log crossing and the trail starts there.

Great report, thanks for sharing.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Great report and beautiful pictures; thanks!

I probably won't make it to the Sierra this summer, but we're planning a hike in the Winds, probably either Titcomb Basin (most likely) or Cirque of the Towers (less likely). Got any advice on these two specific areas, or in hiking in the Winds generally? Expect more precip than in the Sierras, yes? How early are we likely to be able to get in, and does it differ between the two locales? Right now we're thinking mid-July looks pretty good, but early July would be better if there isn't likely to be too much snow...
—B²
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Regarding the two Wind Rivers destinations;
Both will have mosquitoes in mid-July
This year is looking like a slightly below average snowpack- but too early to tell - a lot of snow can fall in May and June.
Elkhart Park is a lot easier to access (16 miles paved road) versus Big Sandy - lots of dirt roads.
I personally think Cirque of the Towers is more spectacular but others would not agree. Rock climbers tent to prefer the Cirque; mountaineers prefer Titcomb Basin.
You can camp in timber at Cirque of the Towers; Titcomb Basin is above timber and quite windy
If you go to Titcomb Basin, be sure to explore the lakes of Indian Basin - they are just off the trail and beatuiful.
If you go to Cirque of the Towers a side trip up towards Texas Pass, or down to Lizard Head Meadows on the North Fork are both worthwhile.
The trail to Titcomb Basin is well maintained and very crowded. The Jackass Trail is less maintained and quite rocky. Most people can get into the bench camping above Lonesome Lake in a day. Most people can get into Island Lake in a day- but all the way to Titcomb Basin upper lakes would be a hard day.
There is no permit system in the Wind Rivers and thus degree of crowds is unpredictable. Both places can be crowded, but mid-July is early -much less crowded than August.
These two destinations are the most popular in the Wind Rivers; you really cannot go wrong with either.
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

Thanks, Wandering Daisy! You've confirmed everything I've heard and added a good bit of new information. Indian Basin definitely looked attractive from the maps, and at least a couple of us may try Fremont Peak, and Indian Basin is on the standard route up from Titcomb, isn't it? I hate mosquitoes, but then who doesn't? I've learned that a mosquito helmet (face-mask, whatever you call it) can make the difference between impossible and just bothersome, and we'll definitely carry them and expect to eat in the tent at least sometimes.

Which brings me to another question. What do people do for critter protection in the Winds these days? Last time I was there (egad, 14 years ago!) people simply didn't worry; even coolers left out in campgrounds seemed to go unmolested, which I still find hard to believe (even the coyotes—let alone the bears—can get into coolers in California). I know there are black bears there; are there grizzlies? How careful does one have to be? :bear:
—B²
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I am probably the odd ball on this- I sometimes take a bear cannister (Bear-i-Kade) just because I have it. A cannister is recommended but not required. Hanging a food bag off trees or off cliffs also works. I have never had bear problems above timber in the Wind Rivers. If a bear is going to get your food it probably would happen in timber on the way in.

Indian Basin is not "on the way" to Titcomb Basin, rather it is "adjacet to" Titcomb basin. For a day-trip, at the trail junction to Titcomb Basin (about a mile past Island Lake) take the Indian Pass trail to the Lake 11,008 and then leave the trail to loop back to Lake 10813 where you can get back to the trail easily. Lake 10794 is pretty too.
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

OK thanks. My instinct would be to bring a canister, too, but I don't currently own one, so I'll go with what way opens. And: I meant that Indian Basin looked to be on the standard class I route to Fremont Peak from Titcomb, not on the way to Titcomb from the trailhead. Kelsey says "the saddle is most easily reached from Indian Basin... but it can also be reached from Mistake Lake..." We'll check it out when we get out there and see what way looks best, but we'll certainly give Indian Basin a look whether on the way to peak or just on its own merits.

Thanks SO much for sharing your knowledge about this area!
—B²
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Daisy

Any chance you can activate the pics on this post? Markskor and I are heading through the area, though going in over Pine Creek Pass and out via Italy Pass. So the part of the trip we are most interested in is the route from around Hutchison to E. Pinnacle, to W. Pinnacle, from their we will traverse to Lower Turret then up toward Upper Turret then work our way to Sharp Note and Three Island. MK, Troutdog, Maverick have all chimed in on PMs and I'm interested in your take (and pics) of the area.

M
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I am leaving tomorrow AM for a 3 day backpack but will try to get the photos when I come back. I may just submit a new trip report. I moved my photo files around in Photobucket before I realized that moving them broke the links.