Sending my stepson to Wire Lakes, Emigrant this weekend June

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bookpacker
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Sending my stepson to Wire Lakes, Emigrant this weekend June

Post by bookpacker »

He's not leaving till Sunday. He's 21, with some experience, with a friend the same age and experience. I didn't call the Summit Ranger Station till 4:31pm today, Friday, which is as good as forgetting entirely. My wife and I were climbing and camping at Chipmunk Flat on May 10, no snow at 8000. But does someone know the conditions at Gianelli Cabin Trailhead, a little higher--will the trail be defined or spotty? I'm particularly wondering about the crossing of West Fork Cherry Creek at Salt Lick Meadow. Lower down, I've read it's at 3', and I've warned them away from that area.

Any thoughts appreciated. Should I send them to Cherry Lake Trailhead?
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Sending my stepson to Wire Lakes, Emigrant this weekend June

Post by balzaccom »

When we asked a few days ago, they said that Gianelli Trailhead was open, there was a three-foot snow bank a few hundred yards past the trailhead, and that Whitesides Meadows was a swamp.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Bookpacker,

Welcome to HST! Have you read this current TR, it mentions and has info on some of
the areas your asking about: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9364" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bookpacker
Topix Novice

Post by bookpacker »

Thank you, Maverick, Balzaccom,

I didn't find that post--thanks, Maverick. Well, the boys are there, have been for a few days, and went with plenty of my warnings and worries with them. It seems the conditions are a little more difficult than I hoped. They are due back tomorrow. I will post again when they get back.

Thanks again--