2012 SEKI Loop - Picket Creek/Kaweah Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2012 SEKI Loop - Picket Creek/Kaweah Basin

Post by maverick »

Oh yeah, my favorite basin in the Sierra. Thank you so much for bringing back some great memories of this enchanting place. The views of the Kaweah ridgeline from the middle of the basin are mesmerizing, and one can sit for hours just taking in the gorgeous view. I shot that same ridge, almost from the same spot as you, as it turned golden from the morning sunlight several years ago.
Picket Lake has got to be one of the best swimming pools in the Sierra, and then add in a gorgeous backdrop, making it the perfect camp spot.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by FeetFirst »

Wow, absolutely beautiful! I need to do some trips in the south.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
exodus
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by exodus »

Wow. Wow. Wow. What a trip! How many days was it total?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Beautiful photos! I did a similar trip years ago in October. It was quite dry and Keweah Basin was very tired looking, also due to smoke in the air due to forest fires, and all the small lakes in the basin were dry. I never got a good photo of the Keweahs. I want to get back into this area earlier in the season. Your trip inspires me to get this done this year!
lambertiana
Topix Regular

Post by lambertiana »

We took nine days for the trip. I enjoyed it immensely. Not only were the lake on Picket Creek and Kaweah Basin spectacular, but I was also impressed by Deadman Canyon. I had been up Cloud Canyon before, and looking at the topo I was not expecting Deadman to be even nicer. And the views from the high trail above Bearpaw looking up the Hamilton and Tamarack drainages were also quite nice.

I will definitely do this one again, perhaps next year. I'm working on getting my niece to come, as well as my twin brother (her father). This year's big trip will be eight days out of Mineral King to explore a lot of the Little Five Lakes/Big Five Lakes/Big Arroyo/Rattlesnake Creek area. I will also visit an unnamed lake on the east end of the Sawtooth-Needham ridge that I would bet has not been visited by humans in a long time (I have never heard of anyone reporting a visit to it). Someone just bailed on me, so I have space on my permit....

My biggest regret is that I currently only get two weeks of vacation each year, and, since my wife's idea of a long hike is from the far end of the parking lot to the store, I can't use all of my vacation time on backpacking and expect to have peace at home.
lambertiana
Topix Regular

Post by lambertiana »

Wandering Daisy - I remember you telling me that you did not like Pyra-Queen col, possibly because of the high winds you encountered. When I was there it was a perfectly calm day.
gchikes
Topix Novice

Post by gchikes »

Great TR and awsome pictures! I will be picking that same route up at Gallats Lake via Milestone Basin and points north the first week of July. Your pictures of Kaweah Basin, and especially Pyra-Queen Col, are going to be really helpful. Thanks.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

You certainly hit some of the best back-country of SEKI. It brought back memories of my visit to all those places. It all looks exactly as I remember it. Thanks for posting!
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lensman137
Topix Acquainted

Post by lensman137 »

Beautiful photos and trip report. Been there a couple of times. The last time was around ten years ago. I'm overdue for another visit. Maybehopefully this year. :-)