When is my dog ready to backpack?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: When is my dog ready to backpack?

Post by rlown »

is she on frontline or advantage? that helps with the tick problem (mostly advantage). Dogs also can take benydryl. you just have to know the dose. it's the same pill we might take, but per pound for the dog. cover the dog at night.. they like that. small quilt.

Bring a towel.. dry her off. and that's as good as it gets.

At this point, just take her! as long as you have first aid booties, you're good to go.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

A microfiber towel would be the ticket with my dog - a dense coat is more problematic if the dog's really soaked.

I have my dog on a once a month worm and flea medication, Trifexis, and put a tick collar (yes, it's that specific, they have them on Dr Foster Smith) on her for spring. It's good for three months.

There is a clearance on cordura booties over here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... pcatid=868" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I picked up four pairs - it would be lighter to carry all four than a single set of the Ruffwear booties with vibram soles.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Thanks all for the advice. The idea of booties as "first aid" sounds good. I had not thought of a dog-specific first aid kit. A few dog pain relief tablets are a good idea. I will ask the vet what would be good to take for dog medicine. And tweezers to remove ticks. She would get several ticks a day last fall.

I am not sure about any doggy clothing. She is a "rough coat" border collie - is really furry. She has slept in temperatures near freezing (car camping) without problems as long as she has a pad below. I am thinking of letting her just eat and drink out of my cooking pot. She is real good at licking the pots and pans clean at home!

This may be a stupid question, but if it rains and the dog gets wet, how do you dry her off before bedtime? Or does it matter? A wet dog in the tent does not sound very appealing to me. I think on our first trip I may take my bivy sack to protect my sleeping bag inside the tent and have the dog sleep in the tent and see how it goes.
Here is some more info I've gathered from my research.

re: First Aid: Liquid Bandage seems to be a good way to deal with a cut paw initally before bandaging it. Vet Wrap is good for wrapping it up before putting on the bootie. Fortunately I haven't had to use either of these yet.

re: Doggy Clothing: For long trips I bring a ruffwear cloud chaser which helps in the rain etc. I've never had to use it backpacking but it has helped on dayhikes. Last weekend we were at matlock lake and the low was probably 35 degrees and she was fine with no clothing, but on a pad in my tent.

re: drying your dog. I bring a shamwow I cut in half for this exact purpose. It works well. I also restrict Callie's ability to get into the water close to sunset.

I'm planning on writing a guide on all of this, as I've been researching this extensively and have been getting plenty of real world experience. I want to make sure that my advice is well grounded though, which is why I'm giving it another year. I'll be taking my dog offtrail into the Bear Lakes basin for a few days this summer (and then hopefully to Merriam Lake and Royce Lakes), and I'll be letting everyone here know how it goes. I'm prepared to carry my dog out if needed but I obviously am planning to make sure that never happens.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by whrdafamI? »

Funny how you feel free to put me down for taking a dog into KCNP when almost all your pictures clearly show a unrestrained dog on trails that are clearly posted "Dogs must remain leashed at all times". But then, you must feel that you are above the law.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

FYI - The law for Inyo NF, where Callie goes with me in the Sierra, says that dogs must be on leash or under verbal command.
Last edited by schmalz on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

schmalz wrote:FYI - The law for Inyo NF, where Callie goes with me in the Sierra, saws that dogs must be on leash or under verbal command.
That's the rule in Sierra national Forest too.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

schmalz wrote:FYI - The law for Inyo NF, where Callie goes with me in the Sierra, says that dogs must be on leash or under verbal command.

FYI, your pictures of Ice House Canyon ,Mt.Baldy and Mt. Lowe are in the San Gabriel's, not Inyo. NF. and ALL those trails are clearly posted.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

schmalz wrote:FYI - The law for Inyo NF, where Callie goes with me in the Sierra, says that dogs must be on leash or under verbal command.
verbal command.. "HEY, come back!" All dogs i've seen up piute out of north lake were off leash and very pleasant. the waterbars did confuse the dachshund.

WD, just take the dog. you'll learn as you go.. you're good at that anyway. take the backup stuff like benadryl, booties, dog food (not raw fish :))

it will be fine.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have Velcro and courdura and can sew. I do not see why I cannot sew booties that are sized to exactly fit my dog!

I am currently (and have been for 2 weeks) sick with a nasty cold. I think I will be well enough in a few days to go backpacking. A short mileage trip, overnight only, would be a good idea for both me and the dog. I will take photos and report on our (mis)adventures! Thanks everyone!
87TT
Topix Regular

Post by 87TT »

Have fun. Just a tip on the boots.The dogs don't like them at first. I found that a little vet wrap around the top keeps them on better, just not too tight.