Another Nevada Falls Tragedy

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Another Nevada Falls Tragedy

Post by maverick »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... r/2383555/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Very sad.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RichardCullip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Another Nevada Falls Tragedy

Post by RichardCullip »

Very sad indeed.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

why is it sad?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Because it could have been avoided by an educated, in the dangers of water
safety, group leader who would/should have been watching out for this teenager.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

why is that not obvious? don't swim near a fall.

didn't mean to be callous, but still. just don't.. can't blame this on those watching over them. other than don't go in the water here.
87TT
Topix Regular

Post by 87TT »

rlown wrote:why is that not obvious? don't swim near a fall.

didn't mean to be callous, but still. just don't.. can't blame this on those watching over them. other than don't go in the water here.
Agree, dumb not sad. Seems like we run around trying to protect kids now instead of teaching them how to look out for danger. Like teaching them how to cross a street. Basic, don't swim in a river above a waterfall. :-k
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

People die in the Kings all the time, towing each other with Home Depot ropes meant not for dragging five or more people through current but for lashing firewood together.... falling out of boats drunk, getting stuck in weirs or strainers or in rocks. I think water is easy to take for granted, particularly when you see people successfully come back out of it. You don't think you'll be the one who "gets it" and then suddenly the current is stronger than you thought it would be....

There was a video we were shown in a water awareness training taken by a phone in the hands of a tourist - kid was climbing a boulder next to the Merced, fell into a pool formed by an eddy next to the rock. Fell again, and again, with much laughing and giggling and splashing. Fourth time, the kid fell a few inches too far, over the "fence" into the current, and the phone gets dropped - the next picture was a rescuer on the end of an extension ladder with many ropes rigged pulling the body out of the middle of the river where it had been lodged in some rocks by the current.

The number of falls related deaths in past years makes me think having a kiosk with such a video might make more difference to people than a sign they can ignore. As we all know experience, even a shared one, has more impact than words...

I have a lot of sympathy for people who do these things out of ignorance - they never got a chance to learn they need to believe signs. I think we have so many signs and waivers and warnings due to our hyped up concerns about litigation that people tune out the ones that really matter.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

This is another member of a "church group". I think it is about time that someone convinces church groups to have some training and information sessions before they take members into the wilderness. Is it the fatalistic thinking "it is Gods will" or is it unqualified leaders? Or is it that "youth groups" are the problem? Boy scouts are youth groups and they do not seem to regularly die being washed over falls in Yosemite. My impression is that boy scout leaders get more training than church group leaders. Yes, it is very sad because it was preventable. No matter what the stupidity, the young man has a mother and father and perhaps siblings who now have to deal with the incredible loss.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

how is it preventable.? he made a choice. a really bad choice. Bat him on the head with a bible before he jumped in?

I really don't need a sign to tell me this is a bad idea. And yet, some think "hey, this looks fun" Had a teen jump off the GG bridge recently, for fun. lived. broke a tailbone. surfer saved him.

More to your point, WD. if the mother/father instilled safety into the guy, maybe he would be alive.

Just don't do dumb.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Some pure speculations trying to get into the mind of why young people swim in these dangerous areas above Nevada and Vernal falls. The 19 year old of course read the warning signs so understood there was danger. He may have suggested taking a swim while grinning challengingly looking at the other teens in his group and I'd bet some indicated not too duck the railings. But as part of a group with other young teens, he was probably engaged in showing off to others how he could challenge danger and some likely giggled as he first crossed over to the rock island.

In days since the fatal swim, none of the church group has said anything to the media likely because as a group they decided not to do so as the truth is probably embarassing. Also likely reflects on ignorance of general mountain dangers within leadership of that group. Of course many such visitors and groups come to Yosemite without any previous experience in our mountains and though leaders may keep a short leash on 15 year olds, probably if any were watching the 19 year old considered him old enough to do as he wished without embarassing the person in front of others.