MT Ranch - Food

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
frisfraser
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

MT Ranch - Food

Post by frisfraser »

Hi Guys,
This is an odd question...
I have been to the Muir Trail Ranch two times. I know a ton of people ship buckets of food only to leave some behind. I have dug around the left-over food piles under the 3 EZ-ups in the back of the ranch. The ranch hands are very nice, and said they'd rather have me take it so they wouldn't have to pack it out with mules. I have not been to the Ranch in 3 years. Would anyone know if they still have a trade/free pile?
Last edited by frisfraser on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: JMT Ranch - Food

Post by AlmostThere »

I think you mean Muir Trail Ranch?

If so, they had all the buckets and then some last year.
frisfraser
Topix Novice

Re: MT Ranch - Food

Post by frisfraser »

Thanks, I always get confused with the names of all these John Muir themed places. I edited it.

And, I asked because I am just going to stop by after 3 days of being in Humphrey's Basin, they 6 more days north of the Ranch. Might as well stock up on some food while I am there. So, it is the same as all the years before? kind of a free for all...except for the bears..
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

I think later in the season, the more hikers have been through, the better the selection... it's still pretty early, but, it's a dry year. You're taking chances too - the choices looked pretty limited. Lots of potatoes.
frisfraser
Topix Novice

Post by frisfraser »

Ha! Thanks.
I know the variety can be limited. Although, Potatoes are great! Its something. I will be there mid-july, I figure there will be plenty. Thanks again!