2012 SEKI Loop - Picket Creek/Kaweah Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
lambertiana
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

2012 SEKI Loop - Picket Creek/Kaweah Basin

Post by lambertiana »

Finally getting around to posting this...

A few years ago my niece saw a picture of the lowest lake on Picket Creek and decided that she had to go there. Last year I finally put together a trip for her...but in the end she couldn't make it because she got married a month before the trip. I'll have to take her there some other time. It ended up just being two of us. We started at Crescent Meadow, on the HST

and stopped at Bearpaw the first night. The second day we took the high route to Elizabeth Pass. I really liked the scenery looking toward the Hamilton Lake and Tamarack Lake drainages

Getting close to Elizabeth Pass, looking down

The face immediately west of Elizabeth Pass

From Elizabeth Pass, looking east

Starting the descent into Deadman Canyon

I really liked the upper part of Deadman Canyon, here are a couple pictures of that section

We stopped for the night just above the creek that drains Big Bird Lake.
lambertiana
Topix Regular

Re: 2012 SEKI Loop - Picket Creek/Kaweah Basin

Post by lambertiana »

The next day we continued down Deadman Canyon, past Ranger Meadow

Lots of slickrock

For most of the day it was overcast with occasional showers, so it was very poor for pictures. But right by the grave things lined up nicely for this picture

The bears are very active in Deadman Canyon, we saw a lot of trees like this

By the time we reached Roaring River and started up Cloud Canyon it got bad (and wet) enough that I just put my camera away, although I did pull it out for a shot at Big Wet Meadow

That night we stopped on the eastern shoulder of the Whaleback, and things cleared a little in the evening

The next morning we got up early to beat the storm clouds over Colby Pass. It was very poor lighting at Colby Lake

And Colby Pass comes into view

In the end it wasn't that bad, only scattered sleet as we made our way up Colby Pass

Our destination for the next day - under those clouds. Looking foreboding.

But as we descended to Gallats Lake it started to clear up.
Last edited by lambertiana on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
lambertiana
Topix Regular

Post by lambertiana »

After spending the night at Gallats Lake (and discovering a heart rhythm issue, which turned out to be premature atrial contractions, which explains why last year such activities became markedly harder for me) we woke to classic clear Sierra skies, which would remain with us for the rest of the trip.

Our goal for the day was the lowest lake on Picket Creek, which I now call Sarah's Lake after my niece. First part was to traverse up the slabs just below Gallats Lake

From partway up the slabs, looking back toward Gallats Lake

Turning a corner to see the Whitney group

I kept going all the way to where you come around the final corner right by the outlet stream, ending up on a ledge system looking down on Rockslide Lake

It would have been easier to head up to the rim of the lake before that ledge, but it wasn't bad. Popping over the top, I then just followed a gully north to then drop to the shore of the lake, this was my first view

This lake did not disappoint, I'll let the pictures do the talking

And as the sun went down, the Whitney group was still bathed in the last light of the day
Last edited by lambertiana on Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lambertiana
Topix Regular

Post by lambertiana »

I also explored up Picket Creek, and found it to be quite scenic

The next day was short, I just wanted to get to upper Kaweah Basin before the next day's adventure of going over Pyra-Queen Col. It didn't take long to get to the top of the ridge between Picket Creek and Kaweah Basin to look up toward the main part of Kaweah Basin

At first we stayed on the talus on the north side

Finally crossing to the southern side at this point to get to the easier slabs and flatter ground

I would have to rate Kaweah Basin quite high on scenic content, too

We stopped for the day at this lake. Since we got there early in the day, I had plenty of time to relax and soak in the scenery

Late light on the Williamson group
lambertiana
Topix Regular

Post by lambertiana »

The next morning had good lighting on the Kaweah ridgeline

And then it was time for some talus...and more talus as we went over Pyra Queen col. First, the highest lakes in Kaweah Basin

The col is just left of the dark notch near center in this picture

Can you see my friend at the edge of the nearest band of snow? Did I mention that there is some talus?

The col gets near, at the top of the talus that extends to the snow almost dead center in this picture

At the top of that (loose) talus slope is the col itself. First, views back around Kaweah Basin from the top of the col

lambertiana
Topix Regular

Post by lambertiana »

And then the col itself...quite steep and loose

Leaning out I could see Lake 11,682

And then it was time to descend the west side. I'm glad I wasn't coming up this, the first part is very very loose and steep. Looking back up as my friend comes down the first part

Clear views from the long talus slog down to Lake 11,682

North toward Kaweah Queen

South toward Black Kaweah

After a long talus slog, we reached the incredibly tasty water of Lake 11,682. Some of the best I have ever tasted. I get thirsty every time I look at this picture.

We then continued down to Nine Lake Basin, where we would camp for the night. Here are some shots along the way.

I enjoyed the grove of foxtail pines just above Nine Lake Basin

And finally, Nine Lake Basin

lambertiana
Topix Regular

Post by lambertiana »

The next morning in Nine Lake Basin

Then it was time to go over Kaweah Gap and head down. From near Kaweah Gap looking north

And south toward Eagle Scout Peak

When we reached Precipice Lake the lighting was not good for classic pictures so I had to make do. I need to camp there some time to get the full range of lighting options.

And it was there at Precipice that I had a surprise pleasant meeting with someone I had only known on the forums...Moosetracks Laura. I got to walk with her from there to the creek crossing at the waterfall below Hamilton Lake.

Heading toward Hamilton Lake

At the outlet of Hamilton Lake

Angel Wing
At the waterfall below Hamilton Lake

Hamilton Dome

Looking back up...

After a final night at Bearpaw, we made our way back to Crescent Meadow. Looking toward the valley, I wasn't ready to return to civilization yet

And the last vestige of wilderness disappeared when we reached Crescent Meadow

I found this trip to be extremely enjoyable with outstanding scenery. I think I will do it again some time.
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mike M. »

Lambertiana,

Great trip report, belated or not. I'm headed into that area in August via the east side and can just taste it! Your photos are gorgeous. I've never done Pyra Queen and your photos document the route well. I'm tempted to rearrange my itinerary to include that, rather than backtrack down to the Kaweah River via the slope west of Picket Creek. After a mostly trailed approach via Kearsarge Pass, Forester Pass, Colby Pass and Cloud Canyon, my goal is to camp at Glacier Lake and capture some shots of The Whaleback, then head over Triple Divide Pass and spend at least three days exploring Picket Creek and the Kaweah Basin and possibly the lakes north of the Red Spur.

Mike
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Fabulous photos and words for a fabulous area! I gotta get back there.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Lambertina, wonderful trip report and photos. It brings back all the marvelous memories of my own magical trip last year over Colby Pass to the Picket Creek lake and Kaweah Basin. Thank you for finally posting this. I'm still studying the tree information you sent.
Last edited by LMBSGV on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com