Changes Backpacking Habits

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
artrock23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Changes Backpacking Habits

Post by artrock23 »

rlown wrote:artrock,

You said you accept it. does your family?

Russ
I'm single, with no kids. If married with children, i'm sure it would be a different matter!

My parents are used to my somewhat 'risky' activities. I've been this way my entire life. When younger, let's just say I took many foolhardy chances for years with the lifestyle I led and leave it at that. They know that I have a heightened sense of self-preservation, and do not give up when it comes to survival. Having said that (and to answer your question), i'd imagine they'd rest a bit easier knowing I had a locating device. Point taken. ;)
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Thought I'd add this little tidbit to the mix. This isn't exactly backpacking, but.

My friend Ken decided to not go backpacking with me but instead go on a stellar mountain bike ride. He and his other friends went to downieville. Ken got near the river and was a bit tired and he stopped. His front wheel was close to the edge and then he just rolled over the edge.

Anyway, he didn't have a PLB or a spot, and after his 25' fall with bike into the river, he couldn't press it anyway. Neck fracture.

His friends were behind him on the trail, and found him, stabilized him and went for help. This youtube video shows the beginning of the recovery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6fLiWjmZK4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He worked hard to get back to a normal life. Driving again even. But.. Friends. not a device.

Another friend (Had dinner with him on Thursday). He and his motorcycle rider partners were on a trip down near king city, err central valley. one guy put his bike down and broke his leg. They had a spot device. pushed the 911 (yes, they have the logs of this).. it got pushed through 5 different orgs before it landed, and THEY DIDN'T DISPATCH!.

One guy took off on his bike back to the nearest fire dept to get paramedics out there.

Just saying..

Russ
fishhunter
Topix Acquainted

Post by fishhunter »

I've used SPOT for many years now and consider it essential safety gear. Using the SPOT cast allows family / friends to track progress against trail plan, and you can even use the "help" (not 911) button if needed to signal slower pace or change of plan. One thing I learned though...the SPOT should stay within the confines of the pack/day pack (it'll shoot through the fabric) as I had it come off the belt while navigating between lakes and had to frantically search for it so that my wife didn't think I was stuck on a steep cliff! Had we not been able to locate it would have caused a trip abort and we were 30 miles in.

I did rent a SAT phone last year for a long haul / off trail trip. Aside from the additional cost I also found it detracted from the experience of getting away in to the back country, even though we used it very minimally.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

fishhunter wrote: as I had it come off the belt while navigating between lakes and had to frantically search for it so that my wife didn't think I was stuck on a steep cliff! Had we not been able to locate it would have caused a trip abort and we were 30 miles in..
how connected does one have to be? are you out there because you like it or because someone allows you to be out there on a leash?

there was more to say, but i won't elaborate.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Russ,

Relying on Friends in the frontcountry is one thing but in the backcountry while certainly helpful could have limited benefits if people suffered injuries similar to your friends. Friends plus a communication device is, to me, the best alternative if survivability of a serious injury is your primary concern. Of course the best alternative is to avoid accidents, as Artrock23 wrote
good judgement is perhaps the most important skill (or trait) the alpinist must possess. I've turned back short of my objective, more than once, due to unsafe conditions. As Dirty Harry once said "A man's got to know his limitations".
Going solo is something I am not ready to give up so Artrock23's point is always on my mind, the spot is for my family and searchers--I know there are situations that it will not do me any good--just as friends will not always guarantee safety and survivability. If safety and survivability is your concern then friends and a device increase the odds of surviving over just friends or just a communications device.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

markskor wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:Because that's the mandate... Someone will know where you went and eventually someone calls.

Mandate for what?.
All civil servants have sworn an oath and are expected to uphold it. SAR volunteers are civil servants. We respond, we complete assignments, we make no judgment and we do our best to return the missing to their families. Whether anyone agrees or disagrees with this is immaterial.

We fully expect subjects to have their own agendas. There is a lot of information on how to plan a search for various kinds of people... The unwilling or evasive subject among them. Of course, if we show up and the subject does not want rescue, we leave. But we cannot know what anyone would want so we search.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I think we are all aware that nothing is fail proof and nothing is 100% guaranteed to get yur ass outa there alive and there are many scenarios where this type of device is of little or no help. That does not negate the fact that there are many scenarios where this type of device could be a tremendous help. If one chooses to consider it an aid in addition to their first aid kit (BTW, the above applies to a first aid kit as well, but most of us carry some sort of kit without a second thought) or a leash around their neck that prevents them from enjoying their freedom, that's their personal view.

For me, I think a GPS is more of a leash than some sort of emergency signaling device. Not that it has no value, but it tends, for many, to replace more traditional navigational skills with a "tell me where to go" device instead of a tool to be used along with traditional skills. As I write this, I realize the same argument may be made for a SPOT. Nothing can be relied upon 100%, so nothing should be relied upon 100%. Unfortunately, we tend to be in love with our electronics, by and large, a little too much. They may be very useful tools, but let them not become a crutch.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.