TR: Rae Lakes Loop, May 31 - June 2, 2013

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Rae Lakes Loop, May 31 - June 2, 2013

Post by Flamingo »

Hi Everyone,
I hiked the Rae Lakes Loop this weekend, counterclockwise. The backcountry conditions are excellent right now.

Snow Update: Glen Pass is navigable without an ice axe or crampons. The south side is totally clear of snow. The north side holds a 200 meter snow field across the switchbacks. It may look scary, but I think it's safer than it appears. The boot tracks across the snow are well-worn, and I was fine with trekking poles, running shoes, and a healthy dose of caution.

Mosquitos: I encountered light mosquito swarms in Vidette Meadow, and also along Woods Creek near the Muro Blanco intersection.

I hiked counterclockwise. On the first day, I climbed from Roads End to Vidette Meadow. On the second day, I crossed Glen Pass, enjoyed a swim in Rae Lakes, and then cruised down Woods Creek to Paradise Valley. On the third morning, I returned to Roads End. I encountered a handful of PCT and JMT thru-hikers, plus two fishing parties.

Wildflowers are blooming, just about everywhere along the Rae Lakes Loop.

West Vidette Peak at Dusk:

The conditions are great (and mostly snow-free) above 10,000 feet:

The South Side of Glen Pass:

The North Side of Glen Pass (the boot tracks are quite good):

The North Side of Glen Pass, from below:

Rae Lakes Crossing:

Arrowhead Lake:

A Healthy Juniper Grove:

Woods Creek Bridge:

Castle Domes Meadow is just about perfect right now:

I posted more photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/victorhans ... 931533107/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Flamingo on Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
larroyo33
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Rae Lakes Loop, May 31 - June 2, 2013

Post by larroyo33 »

Great trip report! Thanks so much for the information, I am planning on heading out there in two weeks. Glad to hear Glen Pass can be done without snow equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Vhsvhs for the TR, great pictures, and conditions up date. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
exodus
Topix Acquainted

Post by exodus »

Wow so little snow there. It's great for us hikers, but not so great for our water supply. Hopefully next year will be above average, but for now we'll enjoy what we've got! I see you did just that!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Gorgeous photo of West Vidette peak. Nice trip report all around!
gchikes
Topix Novice

Post by gchikes »

Just secured a dogsitter for this weekend, so I'll be headed out on this loop Saturday morning. Thanks for the timely TR & conditions update.
Pennington
Topix Newbie

Post by Pennington »

Thanks for the post and pics. I'm heading up for 5 days on Tuesday. I'll post some pics. \:D/
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Pennington,

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to reading your TR. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org