Taboose Pass Backpack & Mount Conness Area Day Hike

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Taboose Pass Backpack & Mount Conness Area Day Hike

Post by madeintahoe »

Hubby and I had hopes to get to Split Mountain...It had been 5 years since my husband has backpacked with me...so it was really nice to be hiking together again! We originally had 5 days planned for this adventure, taking two days to get up Taboose pass and into Upper Basin, one day for the peak and two days to get out again, which would be a pretty leisurely pace, but because he has not been on a trip like this in so long..I felt the 5 days would be better for him.

The day we wanted to start the quota had been filled..so we had to loose a day and start the next day. We still wanted to give it a try..we figured if we had to we could get out in one day.
We got to the Taboose Pass Trailhead around 6:30 PM the day before,and it was packed full of cars...later learning that all these cars were people's cars that were hiking out of Taboose & not up it..while we were there two sets of people dropped there cars off and got in another car and drove off. So having a hard time finding a place to park which was a challange..we squeezed in between two cars, but were on a slight down hill. During a very long night of not sleeping well because we were constantly rolling down hill..we ended up sleeping way to long in the morning and not getting up! We finally got on the trail at 10:30 way to late to be starting up Taboose Pass :eek: ..it was hotter then heck starting out & within 30 minutes I started feeling very sick :( ...1st time I had ever experienced anything like this on the trail. I felt like I wanted to throw up, we went over to a lone tree which had some shade, I sat down, drank some water & within 10 minutes I was feeling almost back to normal, ate a little bit and after 30 minutes sitting there, we were back on the trail. Very odd, but after that stop I was fine...from there on we really paced ourselves. Had lunch at a great dry mini campsite, meant two rangers hiking out that had done trail work about 2 miles below the East side of the pass.

After an hour lunch break we were back on the trail, got to the 1st creek crossings, I had to take the boots off to cross and walk barefoot, Wayne had tevas to change into.. the water felt great and our feet were all refreshed and happy from it! We found a beautiful dry campsite about 3 miles from the pass, having to hike back down the trail about two switchbacks and a scramble down to the creek to get water...it was a little bit of a hassle to do this, but it was not to bad. Had another night of not sleeping well because of very high winds keeping us awake. The next morning we started thinking about if we should continue on... we decided we really needed that extra day, so decided we are not going to get to Split this year & will try again next summer for it.

Had a great morning at our campsite & just took our time packing up & started back down. Saw one solo backpacker at the creek crossing hiking up & that was it.
We both thought the Taboose trail is a beautiful hike the section we did & the trail is in good shape. It is for sure Hot & you do gain a lot of elevation, but if you pace yourself and take your time on it it is not bad at all.
Got back to the car, ate in Bishop, then drove to Saddleback Lake car camped just pulled over off the road, next day day hiked around Mt Conness..beautiful area! Got back went swimming in Saddleback Lake...which was ice cold, the people there fishing thought we were nuts swimming in it. Got a campsite at the campground there for our last night..was great to have a table, toilets & piped water. Next day had breakfast at the Tiogo Pass Resort we love that place & then drove back home to Tahoe and to our two doggies that were very happy to see us. I did take pictures for anyone that may be interested in seeing the area http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/554170693xuwyCR
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Thanks, Anita! Taboose nearly killed me! Glad you enjoyed it once you felt better!
Kerstin
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Kerstin »

Taboose Pass was so hot when we did it, even though we started at 8:30am. Next time...5:30am! Isn't that a beautiful area?

The yellow wildflower is probably Mimulus tilingii or Mimulus guttatus. :)
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Sorry you didn't get Split, but glad you enjoyed Taboose Pass.

I remember Taboose being a slog! Your photos make it look totally different! We cached 8 days of food below the pass, backpacked Onion Valley to Taboose (p/u food), out Bishop pass and then had to go back up Taboose after the trip to get the bear canisters. :retard:

The 3rd time we did it, we only went down (like what the other cars were doing) We started at Bishop Pass, thru Lakes Basin and out Taboose. That's an awesome trip!

You made a good decision going to Saddlebag for the rest of your trip. It looked pretty there!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ranboze
Topix Regular

Post by Ranboze »

Nice photos Madeintahoe! Skies were great on both trips.

I was 13 when I did Taboose, and all I remember was pooping out, laying down on the trail (I have the photo to prove it) and saying, "Daddy, I can't go any further". After a nice steak dinner (my sister had hauled steak up there) and a good night's rest we made the pass the next day and continued our trip.
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Sooz..,You did awesome getting up it in one day :) ...im sure you were pooped. I don't know if I could do that...maybe starting very early, but it would take me all day im sure.

Kerstin...It is very beautiful for sure just like you had told me, we both love the area...Yeah the 5:30 start sounds a lot better then 10:30 :eek: ..still can't get over we started that late.

Cori...That is okay..Split will be there for another time..it was nice just to do what we did.
We love the Saddlebag Lake area, wish we could have spent another day there. I bet that was a beautiful trip for you Bishop Pass and out Taboose :) .

Ranboze..Thank you! How cool you did Taboose at age 13! That really must have been an adventure for you all. Cool your sister brought steaks up there.. I bet that really hit the spot after the hike :D