Backpacking lunches? (Enough salami and cheese on bagels!)

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Backpacking lunches? (Enough salami and cheese on bagels!)

Post by gary c. »

PB&J on a tortilla always makes a nice lunch for me. If I follow it up with a pack of Sports Beans for desert I'm good to go.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

gary c. wrote:PB&J on a tortilla always makes a nice lunch for me.
+1...my regular lunch - Jar of PB - a trail staple.
PB & chunks of Hershey Chocolate on a tortilla.
PB & one of those little jelly packets (stolen from Denny's) on a tortilla.
a dark Chocolate Milky Way after,
Wash it all down with Crystal Lite.
Mountainman who swims with trout
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

I dont crave that much sugar when im out. I need something salty for lunch. Electrolytes? Sunflower seeds are a great addition when i have to ration my lunch supplies.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

there is nothing more delicious in my backpack than a cooked tortilla, but it requires a modified handheld grill thing. They are so good with just about anything on it
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

sparky wrote:there is nothing more delicious in my backpack than a cooked tortilla, but it requires a modified handheld grill thing. They are so good with just about anything on it
AKA: a forked stick held over a campfire or even my Pocket Rocket if I have the extra fuel.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
strollinbones
Topix Acquainted

Post by strollinbones »

Brilliant! It's an embarrassment of riches!
I am humbled by the ingenuity and subtlety of some of your solutions. I'm eager to choose!

I wish I could add some secret to this list, but I was the one who asked, so, no such luck. I guess my best indulgence in the backcountry is still the splash (or two) of Bailey's I drop into hot chocolate. Oh yes...

thanks to all!
Strollin Bones
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

How about moving this post to the food forum?

LOL. Crystal Lite after Hershey chocolate and peanut butter! Are you watching your waistline?

Depending on altitude and acclimation, you may want to cut back on fats. When first going to high altitude, fats can do a number on your digestion. My favorite lunch is dried fruit (particularly like dried apricots),jerky and a nutritionally balanced, low sugar trail bar. I particularly avoid sugar and candy as they seem to just raise my blood sugar and then lead to a "crash" in energy later. Drop a tea bag in your water bottle and in a few hours you have tea for a drink. My favorite is "Bengal Spice".
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

Loose leaf yerba mate and jasmine green tea. My two faves. I got a plastic filter straw when i bought some tea online it weighs nothing and its really cool. I can even pick wild teas when i find them!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Wandering Daisy wrote: LOL. Crystal Lite after Hershey chocolate and peanut butter! Are you watching your waistline?
Yes, this body is registered, a temple...of doom.
Wandering Daisy wrote: Depending on altitude and acclimation, you may want to cut back on fats. When first going to high altitude, fats can do a number on your digestion.
When first going to altitude, everything messes with digestion – Big Time! Altitude, exertion, changes in water, hip belt tension, sleeping arrangements, food choices, etc...All contribute. Why pick on the yummy fats? Those first days, you usually have to force yourself to drink and snack, you are not that hungry, and usually no matter how well you dine, nothing passes. YMMV. By day four, then things change…I plan for this.
Wandering Daisy wrote: My favorite lunch is dried fruit (particularly like dried apricots), jerky and a nutritionally balanced, low sugar trail bar.
Coincidentally, your lunch sounds a lot like my breakfasts...Dried apricots, cashews, beef jerky...everything except those "nutritionally balanced, low sugar trail bars". My rule of thumb, if it tastes like chitty cardboard down here, probably will not taste any better up there. Eat what tastes good. Besides, I hear that dark chocolate is slimming.
Mountainman who swims with trout
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

I will tell of ALL my meals:
Breakfast: 2 single serving bags of Peach Oatmeal, Tea and Hot Chocolate.
Lunch: Custom mixed gorp, MOJO bar.
Snacks: Power gel, Cliff Blocks, power beans, Vita-C.
Dinner: Package of Noodles (the good kind from an Asian grocery store), Tea and Hot Chocolate.

If it is a longer trip (over 5 days) I might put in chicken crackers and meat sticks.

As you can see, I don't make a big production of meals. I am out there to hike and take pictures, not be some kind of gourmand. Its just fuel. Eat and run.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;