Backpacking lunches? (Enough salami and cheese on bagels!)

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
strollinbones
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Backpacking lunches? (Enough salami and cheese on bagels!)

Post by strollinbones »

Hello!
I'm looking at a few backpack trips this summer (3-5 days) and I would prefer NOT to face my usual salami and cheese on a hard bagel for each lunch.

Anyone have another simple suggestion or two?
I have no dietary restrictions.

thanks!
StrollinBones
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backpacking lunches? (Enough salami and cheese on bagels!)

Post by TehipiteTom »

Dehydrated hummus is my primary non-cheese lunch. It's pretty decent, especially if you have a little olive oil and/or lemon juice to add to it.

I also generally bring a tube of black olive paste, which is great either as a flavoring (very tasty in hummus) or by itself on crackers.

For additional variety, you can get smoked salmon in a foil pouch that makes it practical for backpacking (lightweight, no danger of spoilage). Come day 3 or 4, it's a real treat to have something like that.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

On our recent trip, we brought some round flat bread (already sliced down the middle), some mayo and mustard, a foil package of smoked salmon (6 oz) and a foil package of sweet and spicy tuna (2 oz). You could also bring ritz crackers instead of bread.

Also, found a new product at the dollar store: Quaker Stila oat clusters. Tasty, light and a good snack addition.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Snowtrout wrote:On our recent trip, we brought some round flat bread (already sliced down the middle), some mayo and mustard, a foil package of smoked salmon (6 oz) and a foil package of sweet and spicy tuna (2 oz). You could also bring ritz crackers instead of bread.

Also, found a new product at the dollar store: Quaker Stila oat clusters. Tasty, light and a good snack addition.
Yeah, I always bring crackers instead of bagels--but then, I have an extremely low tolerance for bread that's even the tiniest bit stale. Ritz (or Ritz-like, from Trader Joe's) crackers are a good choice: the packaging is compact, and actually does a pretty job protecting their structural integrity.

I also really like Trader Joe's Corn Tortilla Flatbread crackers. Very tasty.
lensman137
Topix Acquainted

Post by lensman137 »

Anchovies or anchovy paste on Triscuits.
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

I just don't want my canister smelling like salmon after a week of hauling the empty foil pack around... =;
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

I'm not one to comment on lunches since mine consist of a handful of peanuts and (usually)
half a power bar. BUT, :) I'll suggest something I frequently have before dinner: Stacey's pita chips and some good swiss or chedder cheese. These pita chips hold up well. Even if they are squashed, they still retain a firm texture. Or how about a tortilla (these hold up well too) with cheese and some summer sausage.
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

I like tj's stone ground wheat crackers. A full week of abuse and very little breakage(leave them in the box). Toppings are up to you
mediauras
Topix Acquainted

Post by mediauras »

Great idea on the black olive paste Tehipite Tom! That's going on my next trip.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Single serve packet of cream cheese, half a ripe avacado (ripened by riding in the top of a backpack) and dried cranberries wrapped in a tortilla or flatbread (I prefer flatbread).

This and more at trailcooking.com ... say goodbye to boring lunches. Tabouleh makes a great lunch. So does dehydrated carrot slaw.