Advice on Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne River

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
softscientist
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by softscientist »

Hi, I am planning a trip for next week, first week of June, for about four nights. I may be overly optimistic about the low snow fall this year. I wondered if it would be possible to do the backpack between Glen Aulin and Whitewolf without serious creek and river crossings. Has anyone been out there this season yet? Thanks!

I am a level 3 or 4 experienced backpacker wanting to take someone who is a strong runner, but never backpacked before, so I want to keep it to class 2 terrain for the most part. I was planning on breaking up the long ascent back up to Whitewolf into two days, possibly. I'm mainly interested in big mountain scenery.
Last edited by softscientist on Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mradford
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Advice on Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne River

Post by Mradford »

Softscientist,
read this topic before asking for help.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I did this trip June 10-14 last year and all crossings were trivial. I did have to wade up to knee deep. I think snowpack this year is the same or lower than last year. From Glen Aulin I took the trail via 10 Lakes Basin so did not do the crossings between Tuolumne Meadows and Glen Aulin.
J ney
Topix Acquainted

Post by J ney »

Hello... I just did this hike last weekend (TR is in progress). I only had to take my shoes off once during the whole hike and that was crossing Register Creek by Muir Gorge and I bet you'll be fine there any day now. It is a bit boggy at the downstream-end of Glen Aulin but not prohibitively so. Should be a great time to be out there.
softscientist
Topix Newbie

Post by softscientist »

The Yosemite conditions page just posted: "The Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne trail is flooded below the Glen Aulin High Sierra Camp and is a cold wade for a half mile. Register Creek in the Grand Canyon is an unbridged crossing that is potentially hazardous." I guess the flooding has begun.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildcond.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;