My JMT trip report

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Skibum
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Skibum »

Congrats Rosie! :) Sorry I was not able to meet you at Rae Lakes. I got your note! Can't wait to see the rest of your pics!
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Well done, but what a scary interlude! I couldn't help but notice that you said, "Mosquitoes were really bad in a few places – Upper Lyell Canyon and the Rush Creek area especially." Some things never change -- I've been eaten alive nearly every time I've been in those two areas (except one very late fall trip).

Congratulations!
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Thanks, BSquared! Yeah, the mosquitoes were really bad there, but the funny thing about upper Lyell Canyon was that we started out from the T.M. backpackers' camp that morning and went thru the whole canyon with virtually no mosquitoes. Then when we got to the switchbacks just below the bridge area they came out in full force! I stopped to put on some deet, only to find that the lid to my sun-screen had popped off and was leaking in my pack... this mess had to get cleaned up, and as I did they literally surrounded me like a cloud; I'd NEVER seen mosquitoes that bad!

Well, Hi there, Jim!!! Hope things are going well for you :) ! I realized it would be a longshot to meet-up with you at the Rae Lakes...I knew you'd be busy this time of year. When I gave the note to Dave, the LeConte Ranger, he wasn't even sure if you'd receive it before I went thru. Anyway... it was a wonderful, memorable trip! I still haven't found a location that offers Yoga classes yet (or at least classes with an instructor with any credentials...); I'm going to continue running stadiums, though. I had NO knee problems on this trip, and usually the downhill really takes it's toll on my knees (even with hiking poles); I'm convinced it was because of running up AND down the stadium stairs. Anyway...when things settledown, let me know how you're doing.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Hi Rosabella....I sure enjoyed reading your story! Thank you. Cool about meeting this man you had meant already on Glen Pass. beautiful pictures..the silhouette shot is awesome!
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Great report... super pics!!! :)
Allyn
Topix Acquainted

Post by Allyn »

Rosie. How is the chest doing? Any more pains? Looking at your pictures I would have had them sitting on the edge of Half Dome like you were! I was never afraid of heights until I went up there years ago! My tests came back clean some I am ready to hit the trail again. Going for some days hikes this weekend up on the mountain outside Las Vegas (home) and hope to see the aspens starting to turn!
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Thanks, Madeintahoe and Buck!

Madeintahoe - the Silhouette picture was on Whitney Summit just before sunrise; I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but I was happy with it. And yes... running into my friend from 3-years ago is one of my special memories from this trip.

Hi Allyn!! Nope... no more problems! I'm glad things checked out OK with you also... maybe next time we can have that beer together :D ! And that picture on the HD edge...that probably required more courage than anything else I've ever done in my life! I am so afraid of heights, but I always wanted to get a picture out there, so this time I went out about 10-feet from the edge then sat down and scooted out, watching my sister the whole time - I couldn't look down.

I did add some more pictures to the album, and now they are totally out of order, and I have no idea how to correct it :retard: . Oh well.