TR: Woodchuck Creek Dayhike 26May13

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Woodchuck Creek Dayhike 26May13

Post by sekihiker »

Started at Rancheria Trailhead at 7:15am. Skies were clear until late afternoon when clouds moved in from the west. A few people had already been on the trail, including a small pack train. Turned north at the Duck Creek turnoff, headed past Finger Rock and Round Corral Meadow then went cross country at the lip of the Woodchuck Creek basin. Toward the bottom of the canyon, I picked my way through bogs, crossed Woodchuck Creek, and found the trail a few meters north of the creek. Heading east on trail, I soon came to the south running tributary of WC that is just west of the Indian Springs mark on the topo. I ascended the north canyon slope, very boggy in places, until reaching my halfway point at 1pm. It turned out the trail to Chimney Lake was less than a half mile away. Some flowers were in full bloom at this elevation and there was very little snow. Spent a lot of time taking photos on the way back. If you are interested in the flowers I saw during the trip, go to http://www.inaturalist.org/calendar/sekihiker/2013/5/26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .
Last edited by maverick on Wed May 29, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Angle Brackets removed
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Re: TR: Woodchuck Creek Dayhike 26May13

Post by SweetSierra »

Beautiful flower photos! Thanks for posting. Did you take any other photos of your day hike?
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Thanks for the short TR, useful to hear about the lack of snow in that area. In a few weeks a couple of us are likely to 3-day backpack into Chimney/Woodchuck from the obscure Hoffman Mtn gate.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

A few weeks from now, snow will be a distant memory. I'll have to try that obscure trailhead some day.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

SSSdave wrote:Thanks for the short TR, useful to hear about the lack of snow in that area. In a few weeks a couple of us are likely to 3-day backpack into Chimney/Woodchuck from the obscure Hoffman Mtn gate.
I'm envious. If I had the time, I'd be tempted to take a shot at it right now. In fact, from that kickoff point, a dayhike to Woodchuck is more than doable, which is probably what I need to do right now.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;