TR 5/20-23: Edyth Redux, Kendrick Creek Falls

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: TR 5/20-23: Edyth Redux, Kendrick Creek Falls

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

I was in the same area at the same time doing the Vernon Lake loop with a noob. I was a bit worried because Wednesday and Thursday had forecasts for lows at about 20 f and highs at about 41 f (due to a cold front passing through), but these temperatures never materialized. It was somewhat chilly and breezy at times, but nothing I was not prepared for. One night in particular was pretty cold, but nothing special. In that area, a bit too cool is better than a bit too hot. A good trip none-the-less.

I have long plotted going to those falls, but never gotten around to it. Thanks for the TR and pixs!
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Cool to see some pics of what I should expect next week. Hopefully I can climb up the falls to the right.
fourputt
Topix Acquainted

Post by fourputt »

I saw signs of an old campsite at the falls. Getting over them to the right should be easy tho I have no knowlege of what happens after that.

DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

RoguePhotonic wrote:Cool to see some pics of what I should expect next week. Hopefully I can climb up the falls to the right.
Either there or at about 600 meters to the NE. Bring bug spray.
Take lots of pictures of Big Island Lake, Bear Lake and especially Peninsula Lake. :nod:
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

My only concern above the falls is the satellite view shows smooth granite on both sides of the river but it's impossible to tell if it is steep or an easy stroll. Either way as Doyle said there looks like a place to get up to the NE.

I don't plan on visiting those lakes though. I'm going straight up Kendrick Creek to Twin Lakes.
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

Here are some photos a trip a 10 days earlier that could help you (click to see larger version):
IMG_1640-kendrick-creek-falls-zoom-lofi.jpeg
IMG_1656-kendrick-creek-falls-crop-lofi.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

I love getting to see and read about areas well-outside my little box of familiarity in the eastern Sierra. Great photos, too! Thanks for taking the time to post it all.
murphtron
Topix Acquainted

Post by murphtron »

@fourputt, is this the route you followed from the trail across Frog to Edyth lake? I'm guessing the pic of the large tarn is the one in the map at elevation 7385. Correct or no?

Mapped Route to Edyth

Cheers.
mtron
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

murphtron wrote:@fourputt, is this the route you followed from the trail across Frog to Edyth lake? I'm guessing the pic of the large tarn is the one in the map at elevation 7385. Correct or no?

Cheers.
mtron
I don't know fourputt's exact route but I can tell you that the route you've shown on the topo is almost on the best route except that I would put it precisely through the low point in the ridge and then descend, dodging various thickets of brush and small cliffs. I did this coming out of Edyth on a loop trip that dropped into L 5680+ (lake downstream of Edyth) from the vicinity of Laurel L. I've also been to Edyth following the north side of Kendrick after dropping in from Cherry Lake (much, much harder with horrific brush).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
murphtron
Topix Acquainted

Post by murphtron »

giantbrookie wrote: I don't know fourputt's exact route but I can tell you that the route you've shown on the topo is almost on the best route except that I would put it precisely through the low point in the ridge and then descend, dodging various thickets of brush and small cliffs.
@giantbrookie, to which ridge to you refer? The low point from Moraine Ridge @7800ft down to the tarn? Or the ridge NW of Frog Creek (just SW of the route shown on the topo)?

I remember years ago you gave me advice on getting to Edyth via Cherry Creek. We bailed while looking down upon Edyth from Nance Peak after scrambling up from Spotted Fawn.

All of a sudden I'm considering bailing on my planned loop route to follow the W Fork of Cherry Creek north to Hyatt Lake and then down the main fork of Cherry and back out. Instead going to Edyth Lake up Kendrick to Upper Peninsula Lake and then somehow scrambling out to Otter Lake and a forced march back down the PCT to the trailhead @ Hetch Hetchy. Hmmm... not sure I can do that in 4 days.