Low snowpack pros and cons

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Low snowpack pros and cons

Post by sekihiker »

A dry spell on either side of 1990 and similar to the last couple of years allowed me to go over a lot of cross country passes and explore a lot of remote territory.
Pietro257
Topix Regular

Post by Pietro257 »

Pros: Easier creek and river crossings. Fewer mosquitos.

Cons: Lack of water in some areas. Fire danger.
Big Ed
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Big Ed »

Less insects.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

More fires. More smoke from fires in areas far from the High Sierra that will yuck up the air. Remember Santa Barbara several years ago?
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by tim »

All I can say is, if you can, drop everything and go NOW! It's great out there, no bugs yet, and the southern Sierra is snow free up to 10,000ft+ (and higher on south facing slopes). We were in Paradise Valley and met a group just finishing the Rae Lakes loop. The north side of Glen Pass was apparently "sketchy" and best done in descent (sliding in the snow), but was snow free the rest of the way. So with the exception of the highest passes there are some amazing deserted places to visit for the next few weeks. The rivers and vegetation look like late July in a normal year.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Well, I just came back from the Vernon Lake loop (5 days with a noob), and I was shocked. I saw one tiny little patch of snow, the Brannigan cascade was just a little strip of water, all of the Vernon Lake water was flowing under the bridge, and there was mosquitoes, mosquitoes (!), about case 2 to 3, in MAY!! It was more like a fairly dry July out there. Crazy.

(Just a tip: the trail above Tiltill Valley was nearly overgrown with bush at the top 1/3. I have never seen it that bad, and I have done that trail many many times. Such a well traveled trail should not be in such poor shape.)
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;