New Edition of "Sierra South"

Discuss your favorite wilderness related books. Share your favorite poetry, quotes and folktales. Here's your chance to showcase your creative side!
Matilda
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

New Edition of "Sierra South"

Post by Matilda »

Warning: this message contains shameless self promotion.

Just in time for backpacking season--the new "Sierra South" from Wilderness Press is now available! The totally revamped 8th edition of this classic has 84 backcountry trips from Yosemite's southern boundary (including my home turf around Mammoth) down to the Kern.
I helped with the updates and thus offer a very biased opinion, but I think the new guide has some great additions and features.
Check it out here: http://wildernesspress.com/book133.htm.
wingding

Post by wingding »

I bought the new edition - I like the layout of my old edition better.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

I'll probably buy the new edition, but I'll definitely keep the old ones (1992 and 1978 or so).

The layout sounds like it's more along the lines of Mike White's SeKi guides--is that fair? That's a nice way to organize things.

My big concern is: which trips get axed? 84 trips instead of 100, covering a broader area--that's upwards of 20 trips from the old guide that have to go. I'm hoping this is achieved more by consolidating semi-redundant trips (i.e., the trips where there's one 2-day round trip, then another trip that incorporates that as the first day, and so on) than by eliminating trips altogether.

On the other hand, it would be nice if the new edition added trips into areas not covered by previous editions. So...yeah, I want it both ways. ;)
Matilda
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Matilda »

There are many new trips in this edition (I'm not one of the main authors, but even I added four brand-new trips) and yes, some of the redundant trips were cut. The editors really wanted to avoid the "see day 2 of trip 50" thing.
The new layout is designed--like Mike's SEKI books--to offer better at-a-glance reading, giving a clearer overview of hikes in each area.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

Matilda wrote:There are many new trips in this edition (I'm not one of the main authors, but even I added four brand-new trips) and yes, some of the redundant trips were cut. The editors really wanted to avoid the "see day 2 of trip 50" thing.
The new layout is designed--like Mike's SEKI books--to offer better at-a-glance reading, giving a clearer overview of hikes in each area.
Thanks, that's good to know.

Any chance we could get a look at the table of contents? Amazon has that for a lot of books, but not this one. My decision to buy really depends on what trips are in it, so that would be very helpful.