Second Recess Questions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Second Recess Questions

Post by cgundersen »

hi carne,
I'd guess between John & Mav you pretty much have this covered, but my 2 cents from looking around at other options in upper 2nd recess (we exited 2nd recess via the notch directly above Mist Lake and continued around to Hilgard Lake) is that most everything you proposed should work. I have a few photos that might be vaguely helpful and I'll try to track down your email and send them.
cg
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

hi carne,
OK, I'll try to get a few shots in here: one is a long view into upper 2nd recess from below Grinnell Lake and the right side of the frame gives you some idea of the high traverse you were planning to use to get to 1st recess. The second photo is looking up at the end of 2nd recess from the meadow down in the canyon below Mist Lake. And one photo is of Mist Lake itself.
cg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Thanks, cg! Your trail report and photos on Flickr were some of the first things I came across. I was glad to see there was a relatively easy way up to Mist Lake even if it wasn't my preferred route. Thanks for the post...I may PM you later with a few questions if that's ok.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

hi carne,
Happy to try to help; I'm about to do a nice, gentle loop around the Silver Divide with my wife, and we'll have great long views of all the Recesses. We're due back June 8th and I should be able to give a good heads up on conditions then!
cg