Mokelumne: TYT or PCT?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rbaldini
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Mokelumne: TYT or PCT?

Post by rbaldini »

Hi folks -

A friend and I (possibly more) are hoping to do a moderate length backpacking trip this summer. A convenient start point for us is somewhere on Highway 4, heading north. The end point will be somewhere near Lake Tahoe area (south, preferably).

It looks like two major trails get us through Mokelumne: The Tahoe-Yosemite trail (TYT) and the Pacific Crest trail (PCT). The TYT goes through Mokelumne canyon (apparently some x-country bush wacking through there) on the west side, whereas I think the PCT stays higher up on the east side.
I don't know the area, so I'm looking to get as much info as I can. For those that have done both: any preferences? Suggestions? Warnings? If you've only done one of the two, any info would be much appreciated. Mosquitoes? Heat? Water (especially considering the dry year)?

About me/us: I've done a handful of backpacking trips, with a bit of x country. I know the basics of x country navigation but I don't have a lot of experience, so if Mokelumne canyon is hard to get through, maybe we should skip that, no? We may bring a friend or two who have done the JMT; they probably have more experience. We're all in good shape.

Either way, we would end up at Carson pass and continue upward through Meiss.

Thanks a bunch.

-Ryan
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mokelumne: TYT or PCT?

Post by rlown »

can you be more specific on your entry points and points of interest along the way? Mav is probably going to ask you to be more specific on your group's capabilities.
rbaldini
Topix Novice

Post by rbaldini »

As of points of entry: it depends on what we decide. If we do TYT, we'd start at Lake Alpine area. If we do PCT, Ebbetts Pass.

Points of interest: Not sure. I don't know the area. My hope was to get some opinions on the difference between these two routes, which is more fun, or scenic, or challenging, etc. This plan is less than 48 hours old so I'm still in the exploratory phase here. Suggestions on camping spots would be nice too.

On our capabilities: Not sure quite what you mean. For me, I can use a compass and topo just fine, but I've never been in a situation where that skill was crucial. I don't have experience navigating through heavy forest without a trail, so if Mokelumne canyon (TYT) is like that, then maybe we should avoid it?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ok.. this is the ask: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After that, do you want to go left or right and why? If it's ease of passage and have no goals other then miles, i'd avoid the canyon. It's a pretty canyon but requires more work. It's really your call.
Last edited by rlown on Sun May 26, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rbaldini
Topix Novice

Post by rbaldini »

Thanks rlown... sorry for noobness. Looking into it.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

not noobness. you did fine. we just kind of what to know the goal. and as well the capability.

Do you want to drop into the canyon and come out 4th of July and over to Round Top towards Carson Pass?
rbaldini
Topix Novice

Post by rbaldini »

Experience: Level 2.5. I've done about a dozen trips, small amount of x country but nothing very challenging, e.g. nothing in much forest cover.
Terrain: Up to class 2. Some scrambling is fine.
Main interests: Big views, solitude, lakes (my friend might fish).
Speed: Flexible. I personally don't like to rush. I enjoy layover days. Would not want to go more than 12 miles/day, I think. This will depend on length though.
Trip type: If we end up doing this section, it will be a shuttle.
No dog.

I'm mostly interested here in getting advice about just the Mokelumne section, between 88 and 4, so the total length of the trip is less relevant for now. But here it is anyway:
Length: I'm thinking somewhere between 5-7 days. 30-60 miles. Would be maybe the longest or second longest trip I've done. (Did 50 miles in Philmont as a boy scout.). The distance will depend on where we decide to stop (Echo summit area(50)? Or though Desolation to Tahoe? Still figuring that out.).

Thanks!
rbaldini
Topix Novice

Post by rbaldini »

As for the goal: Catching up with an old friend in beautiful places. Want adventure, good views, solitude.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ok.. take this part and tell me where your options are (download and save, then mark it (paint or other programs; repost):
Capture.JPG

Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Depending on time of year, crossing the Mokulmne River can be challenging. Once, early season I also could not cross Summit City Creek where the trail crosses. Going north, the trial is pretty evident once you cross Summit City Creek. It is canyon country, lower elevation, vegetated, and if rivers and creeks are your focus you will like it. The PCT is more "alpine". You definitely will see more people on PCT. If I could only go once, I probably would choose the PCT. But I live close so never had to make that choice!